Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#51 Old 29th Aug 2017 at 4:03 AM
I think his beard could use a touch more ginger, but even without it's still excellent. His eyes, nose and freckles are all great too. Since sims 2 head shapes don't lend themselves too well to his real head shape some hair that is flatter on top and sticks out a little to the side might help.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#52 Old 29th Aug 2017 at 11:16 AM
More ginger, true. I'll try that and see what it looks like. As for the shape of the hair, I think you are right too. I'll see if there's something like that out there that I can use. Thanks!

I know I can't do it, but I'm still going to do it. - M. C. Escher
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#53 Old 29th Aug 2017 at 8:45 PM Last edited by billielith : 29th Aug 2017 at 8:58 PM.
Update

Skin : I noticed there's something that looks like a second pair of eyebrows that come with the skintone but Tywin/Mr Dance has some wrinkles in that area so I am thinking of leaving it there.
Hair : I haven't been lucky about the hair mesh. There's nothing in-game that would be long enough to rest on top of the ears without being way too long, and flat on top. So I'll keep looking.
Beard : I tried going a bit more "gingery", but then it was too orange, so then I tried just keeping the same color as before but adding more saturation to it, so we see the "yellowish" color some more. Here it is. Tell me what you think :

Screenshots

Mad Poster
#54 Old 30th Aug 2017 at 3:42 AM
I think that,s very good!
And for the hair, maybe a WCIF could help. there might be people who saw a hair similar to what you are looking for.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#55 Old 30th Aug 2017 at 8:17 AM
Hi, thank you. I will try that.

There is something on his forehead. Like a little line below the hairline. I always thought it was a gap in the hairmesh but it seems related to the beard, when I remove the beard it goes away. I'll fix it and post an update soon.

Instructor
#56 Old 30th Aug 2017 at 5:50 PM
I'm kinda in the camp of more ginger, as well. But I understand it's hard getting the right color mix. Perhaps blend the orange and blonde some?

From the side and angles, I think you have Charles Dance/ Tywin down cold. The front view is still slightly off , because of that pesky thing where the cheekbones and eyes areas are too thin. Looks more like Pete Townshend in a certain light. Could you slightly lower/flatten the forehead to help alleviate the illusion of the too-long-face?
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#57 Old 30th Aug 2017 at 6:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by d4RE
I'm kinda in the camp of more ginger, as well. But I understand it's hard getting the right color mix. Perhaps blend the orange and blonde some?

From the side and angles, I think you have Charles Dance/ Tywin down cold. The front view is still slightly off , because of that pesky thing where the cheekbones and eyes areas are too thin. Looks more like Pete Townshend in a certain light. Could you slightly lower/flatten the forehead to help alleviate the illusion of the too-long-face?

Thank you. He does look a little like Pete Townshend, and he has indeed still a too long face. This is sims 2, with its limits and quirks, but I'll look into it. That little bump of hair on top of his head doesn't help though. I wish it was simple to learn to mesh hair.

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#58 Old 30th Aug 2017 at 11:35 PM Last edited by billielith : 30th Aug 2017 at 11:53 PM.
Update

The little thing on his forehead is gone.

Eyes, do you think the irises might still be a bit too big for him? His are smaller, aren't they? His eyes as they are remind me of Donald Sutherland. I think the irises could be a bit too big for Tywin, what do you think?

Beard, I changed the tone a little towards more ginger, but not too orange. I think I got it this time, what do you think?

Hair, in the WCIF forum, SimSample suggested this one by Fanseelamb, I thought about maybe trying to make the top appear thinner by giving it more balding on the forehead, if the texture allows it, what do you think?

Face, the problem is not so much his face features as the sides of his face not being wide enough, I am talking about the area between the eyebrows and his ears. There's no tool for that area in Bodyshop.

I still tweaked him again, shortened his forehead a little - not too much because Mr Dance has a lot of it - and made some areas a tid bit wider - but a tid bit is all I can go without ruining it. It's starting to show signs that more would be too much. My sim of Rudy Caya has weird unnatural folds in the sim's 3D on the side of his eyes in that area because I pushed the width of his face at maximum, this one has those folds worse - they are partially hidden by the wrinkles, thank God! I couldn't go further without yucky deformities showing once he'll be in-game and animated. Sims 2 just didn't allow wide faces back then, I think they didn't expect people to care about that, lol.

This is where I am at now :
Screenshots

Mad Poster
#59 Old 30th Aug 2017 at 11:42 PM
Oh right! that was you who made Rudy!!! Oh boy I got surprised to see a Quebecois signer showing up at MTS lol! And you got it so right on top of this.
Well, this one right here is pretty much excellent. You'll end up finding a suitable hair, sorry on that one..meshing hair is far from being my specialite, otherwise I'd be on it already.

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#60 Old 30th Aug 2017 at 11:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
Oh right! that was you who made Rudy!!! Oh boy I got surprised to see a Quebecois signer showing up at MTS lol! And you got it so right on top of this.
Well, this one right here is pretty much excellent. You'll end up finding a suitable hair, sorry on that one..meshing hair is far from being my specialite, otherwise I'd be on it already.

Thank you, you are a sweetie, lol. I'll figure something out for the hair. I have to. What do you think of the shade of his beard this time?

Mad Poster
#61 Old 30th Aug 2017 at 11:48 PM
Oh! yes! sorry I like it. Both the man and the sim's beard now look very much alike.

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#62 Old 30th Aug 2017 at 11:55 PM
Then what do you think of his eyes? I've been told by GoT fans that his eyes are very similar to Tywin's but I find the irises a bit too big, aren't they? And maybe they are a bit too green.

Mad Poster
#63 Old 31st Aug 2017 at 1:09 AM
I think they are ok, it is a sim after all. I never watch GoT, so my only reference is the actor himself.

Instructor
#64 Old 1st Sep 2017 at 2:59 AM
The beard color looks great - think you've got it nailed. As far as the eyes, I've thought they were Dance's eyes for quite a while. I don't see that the irises are too large - they look great to me. You might tweak them to see if it looks better to you, but don't lose the current ones, as they will do fine.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#65 Old 1st Sep 2017 at 6:20 AM
I'll tweak the irises just a tidbit smaller and just a tidbit more blue and come back with an update soon.

Then, I'll have to start trying to make his hair. I'll see if I can twist Fansee's texture to a receding hairstyle to give it the proper shape.

Instructor
#66 Old 1st Sep 2017 at 9:06 AM
Dang, I just started looking at this thread, and every time I had a comment the next picure would scroll up and BAM! Amazing work you've been putting into this! I haven't watched GoT yet (it's in my "swallow whole once it's done" folder), but I'm familiar with the actor and think you've done am amazing job with the sliders available... like you always do. ^_^

My two cents, for whatever they may be worth...

-- The most recent profile shot I noticed had a bit of a strong point to the nose, like it's a really sharp slope. Is it possible to soften that, round it a bit so that it hooks a little more, without losing the great, distinctive look from the front?
-- The beard looks wonderful. Not too sparse, not too lush.
-- No chance of confusing him with the other character you showed. Even if I didn't know the sim from GoT I'd still know him as the actor (and as Havelock Vetenari from the Going Postal movie, and he was soooo good in it. ;p).
-- I hesitate over the freckles and liver spots. The actor does obviously have matching marks near his hairline, but they actually call attention to the lack of corresponding freckles. I think without those I'd miss the overall freckles less.
-- In the last couple of shots his hairline looks darker and more orange. It's not as blended, and the difference makes the great facial texture you've added (forehead wrinkles, eyes, etc.) look a bit pasted and mask-ey, where previous shots didn't seem to do so.
-- You have NAILED his cheeks. First couple of pages they didn't seem quite right to me, but by page three they are magical.

I hope there's something helpful in there somewhere. Congratulations on another outstanding project!!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#67 Old 8th Sep 2017 at 7:30 PM
Update,

Wow, where to start?

Thank you for all those kind encouragements! You are really kind and supportive, so much!

And so is everyone who helped me with this character so far. I really, really appreciate everyone's inputs here. You are all part of this!

Your two cents are quite useful and on the spot.
- I edited his nose as suggested
- I got rid of the freckles, tried the previous skintone again
- The difference of shade with the hairline could be a thing with Bodyshop, it seems to do that with other sims as well, no matter which hairstyle or facial features are used.
- His hair will be a big job, I'll start working on it in a couple days.

Screenshots

Instructor
#68 Old 8th Sep 2017 at 10:52 PM
The slope of the nose looks great -- and the change doesn't seem to cost you anything from the front view at all. This is so obviously a labour of love for you, and it totally shows. Even his eyebrows are genius. Seriously, I'm just... wow. ^_^

engaging crazy-obsessive mode... what would you think of making his face just one or two clicks wider? that would probably screw so many things, and I don't want you to risk those magical cheekbones. If there were just one thing I could magically tweak for you without putting you through eighteen years of adjusting everything else I'd mention the slight difference between eye height. IRL, eyes look a little more below the top of his ears. Simwise, though, I know that's such a hard balance to strike, and like I said, crazy-obsessive. Totally not worth risking the beautiful balance you've already achieved. He. Looks. AMAZING!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#69 Old 12th Sep 2017 at 5:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Liz
The slope of the nose looks great -- and the change doesn't seem to cost you anything from the front view at all. This is so obviously a labour of love for you, and it totally shows. Even his eyebrows are genius. Seriously, I'm just... wow. ^_^

engaging crazy-obsessive mode... what would you think of making his face just one or two clicks wider? that would probably screw so many things, and I don't want you to risk those magical cheekbones. If there were just one thing I could magically tweak for you without putting you through eighteen years of adjusting everything else I'd mention the slight difference between eye height. IRL, eyes look a little more below the top of his ears. Simwise, though, I know that's such a hard balance to strike, and like I said, crazy-obsessive. Totally not worth risking the beautiful balance you've already achieved. He. Looks. AMAZING!

Thank you for your kind compliments.

As for the wider face, yup, you're right. I wish there was a slider that would just take the entire face, widen it, and keep everything else intact. Unfortunately, in Sims 2, this is as wide as he can be without starting to break. It's not really visible on those pictures, but I stretched things beyond what we're supposed to do. He has folds on the side of his eyes, if I widen him further he will deform further in that area and some parts will start to collapse weirdly in the folds when he animates. Mr. Dance is supposed to look suave and on top of his game, not Mr. Weird-Face, lol. He will be weird enough as a sim. You imagine Tywin burning his grilled-cheese sandwich or waving hands at us because he has to pee? lol.

As for his ears, you are right, they are not high enough, but there again we don't have a slider for that. I could only lower his entire face but then I'd lose face width and give him a longer forehead. With a longer face, I'd hurt the face width further, which is not enough as it is. Sims 2 wasn't the game for wide faces or high ears, lol.

October is coming, I still got the hair and outfit to make, I'll start working on the hair and post updates soon.

Mad Poster
#70 Old 12th Sep 2017 at 7:26 AM
Well, the eyes alone can be moved up or down, without affecting the forehead or the whole face. And I think he's great!!

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#71 Old 12th Sep 2017 at 6:53 PM
True - and thank you! Well, moving his eyes alone would bring space below the eyebrows - he has none, so can't do that, but moving his orbit (eye+brow) a bit lower didn't affect the forehead too much. I won't be able to align it perfectly with the ears, I'd need a slider to lift ears, lol.

There you go. V12

And now I am going to start the hair, if I am to finish it. :P
Screenshots

Instructor
#72 Old 12th Sep 2017 at 9:26 PM
Fabulous. For serious. Any more pinching or pulling you might try at this point would be more risk than reward. I mean, there's only so much tweaking and obsessing you can do before you either lose your focus on the overall picture or spiral into madness, right? The face looks wonderful, and I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next!

And you're totally right -- even not knowing the character, just knowing the actor a little I can just imagine how surreal it would be to see him kermitflailing about how some townie kid beat him to that swing he wanted to play on. >_<

PS: I keep grinning at the lower comparison photo. That smille just slays me. He's like, "Yes. I know things."
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#73 Old 13th Sep 2017 at 3:27 AM
Posting a picture of my hair research, I have another post in the "Where can I find" forum

Link to my other post
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=599573

Screenshots

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#74 Old 13th Sep 2017 at 3:36 AM
Now the best of those hairs on Tywin - it's not quite 'it' yet...

On the first one, it won't be easy to map Tywin's texture, as you can see each strand is very short, unlike his. The second one is a bit too long and thick at the bottom, it lacks the receding hairline, the sides seem to have gaps. The one I used for this thread (Maxis bald) has the weird shape on top...

Screenshots

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#75 Old 13th Sep 2017 at 3:56 AM
One more
This one has a pretty, wonderful, perfect hairline on top, kinda like Tywin's, but it's a Peggy pay mesh and there's a ponytail...

Screenshots

Page 3 of 5