Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 10:37 AM
Default Orign Update for the Ultimate Collection - Important info for users and mods
The latest update for the UC seems to fix most of the glitches that we have experienced with Windows 10. I decided to do the update this morning and it seems that it does do exactly that.

There is a video here about the update that I stumbled upon last night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_13tAJnYXLI

I still had to change the graphic rules in the program files, but that is all I had to do after a repair. It does seem as if all the other issues are gone.

I have noticed that the black box issue was gone after starting a new game folder yesterday and I also am able to take full screen pics again with the alt + PrintScreen buttons in game.

Of course there is a downside: the Origin bypass (shortcut on desktop) seems not to be working any longer (I made a new one around 15 minutes ago to no avail) - it just opens Origin. Somebody with more knowledge will hopefully look into that for us. (Pretty please? )

I hope I have posted in the correct place - if not, mods are free to move it.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 10:48 AM
does this mean i might be able to play my game in full screen mode? I've had to play in windowed mode on a tiny screen for ages! hope this fixes this.

EDIT: still can play in windowed mode only at only 1024x768

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
Mad Poster
#3 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 11:12 AM
I'm not having any issues, so I think I'll pass.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 11:56 AM
@Emarald1234 - I don't know. I still had to change my graphic settings for mine to work.

@smorbie1 - I agree. I have fixed most issues and the game ran well before - but I am very happy about the screen shots - I could not take any without going into windowed mode for building uploads/contests - and I tried everything and anything for a long time. (The purpose of posting this is more regarding general misconceptions and for new Windows 10/ UC users).
Mad Poster
#5 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 12:26 PM
I'd go for it as long as the Origin bypass could be made to still work.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 12:48 PM
Never had problems being in full screen before, myself. *shrugs* I really don't want to update it if it means I HAVE to log into origin. 9/10 Origin gives me that stupid blank white page.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 12:57 PM
@kiddypatches - I know not everyone has that problem and it was not a problem I had since I started using UC and Windows 10; it started later (kind of in the middle of a building contest too, just to make it more fun or something). It was Karen Lorraine's vacation hood building competition last year - this is now the first time I can take a full screen pic again).

@Charity - Agreed - I don't want to log into Origin either (Sims 4 has done that to me for a while) - so I hope somebody has a solution for that. Any idea who could be asked?
Mad Poster
#8 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 1:55 PM
I think that's the reason behind the reason for the update. I have several origin games. For the longest time I could just play them from the shortcut on my desktop. But, then they would update or repair them and I would lose that ability. With both sims 3 and 4, I've never been able to just play them without being logged on.

Here's the thing. Even if I thought that was a great idea, Comcast winks on and off several times a day. It's usually not a big deal, but I don't want my game to crash because I don't have a steady IP address since Comcast is stupid.

I don't care about taking screen shots. I've never been a picture taker. And, as I've said, my game runs fine.

I'm not trying to encourage anyone else from updating. I was just giving my reasons for not doing so.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 2:18 PM
I don't think anyone has to update - but new UC users; new Windows 10 users and those who buy new computers may not have a choice.

A new download and install will include these fixes.

So former advice is not going to work for them!
Alchemist
#10 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 2:43 PM
This is obvious, but If you have other origin games and you don't want the update, check in advance that your origin isn't set to auto update. I didn't realize mine was, and when I started TS4, Origin took it upon itself to try and update TS2.
Theorist
#11 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 2:44 PM
I assume eventually somebody who knows about these things will come up with a solution, that is what this community does best, after all.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 2:54 PM
Yeah, I have no idea who would know how to bypass Origin; if it's even possible. But Origin is a PITA that takes ages to log off when I shut down my computer and I don't want it running in the background taking up resources anyway when I don't need it.
Alchemist
#13 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 3:03 PM
In the (recent) past, people who wanted to remove Securom from UC could use a certain workaround to make sure that origin wouldn't reinstall securom when the game was reopened. Maybe it still works?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#14 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 3:26 PM
@omglo : It is obvious to players who know about the update and what it does. If a person does not know about it, it will be harder to advise new players about problems. Now I have worked very hard to sort out UC on Windows 10 (article still in my signature) and I know that there are still a lot of misconceptions about it, so that is why I regard this as important information.

Regarding the Securom thing, steps are presumable still available on Leefish for those who need them

Edit:
As for Origin:
Personally, I don't have problems, it is relatively quick, I used my ancient yahoo e-mail without problems and I can still do anything else I want to do.
Alchemist
#15 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 3:58 PM
@Justpetro, I meant that the point that I made in my post was obvious (make sure Origin isn't set to auto update if you don't want the update). That doesn't sound like something that needs to be said, but nevertheless, I let it update TS4 and didn't realize it was going to try and update TS2 afterward, which is why I was warning people. I wasn't talking about your post.

As for securom, my point is that the same steps used to prevent that might also be a way around preventing Origin from opening. And I'm being deliberately vague for what are hopefully obvious reasons.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#16 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 4:17 PM Last edited by Justpetro : 19th Nov 2017 at 4:33 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
@Justpetro, I meant that the point that I made in my post was obvious (make sure Origin isn't set to auto update if you don't want the update). That doesn't sound like something that needs to be said, but nevertheless, I let it update TS4 and didn't realize it was going to try and update TS2 afterward, which is why I was warning people. I wasn't talking about your post.

As for securom, my point is that the same steps used to prevent that might also be a way around preventing Origin from opening. And I'm being deliberately vague for what are hopefully obvious reasons.

Edit: All fine.

I made a mistake (I was still signed into Origin, for one) - @omglo - you are a genius. It works!!!! Last step - only the very last step needed. (I have the game open right now without being signed into Origin).
Top Secret Researcher
#17 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 5:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
Edit: All fine.

I made a mistake (I was still signed into Origin, for one) - @omglo - you are a genius. It works!!!! Last step - only the very last step needed. (I have the game open right now without being signed into Origin).

How'd you manage to get the UC to work without signing into Origin? And as for Origin needing to be open, couldn't I click go offline on it and still play Sims 2 without worrying about crashing from Origin going offline? When I go on Origin and click go offline my still undownloaded games gray out of course but Sims 2 and 4 which are downloaded are still able to be clicked, so one shouldn't need to be online Origin to play, just have it open and offline. Which is still dumb in my opinion but it's EA..

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#18 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 5:19 PM
Offline should work, yes.

There is a page here: http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=6688
Read carefully, including the replies. (We are not actually allowed to discuss it )
Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 5:37 PM
Truthfully i'm just confused. Maybe i'll figure it out eventually but as long as going offline on Origin works it shouldn't really be an issue for me anyway. Thanks though I'm not the most computer literate.

My Simblr
He/They
Instructor
#20 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 6:12 PM
After I updated, my game stopped crashing. I have no clue why. I had already removed SecuRom. I am playing on Windows 10, so maybe something they did helped make my game run smoother. Whatever it is, I'm grateful!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#21 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 6:34 PM
It looks as if several problems were fixed.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 8th Dec 2017 at 10:16 AM Last edited by Charity : 8th Dec 2017 at 10:26 AM.
I finally updated and it's made my build/buy mode go so much quicker. I'm surprised. Didn't fix the black box issue though.

Although I was wondering if there was a way to tell if my 4GB patch was still working or not?
Mad Poster
#23 Old 8th Dec 2017 at 10:40 AM
Simply patch it again. I'd expect the update to overwrite it though.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#24 Old 8th Dec 2017 at 12:22 PM
I simply patched mine again without any problems.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#25 Old 8th Dec 2017 at 2:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
I finally updated and it's made my build/buy mode go so much quicker.

That's the removal of Securom - I did it manually and it made a hell of a difference.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Page 1 of 2