Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Mar 2018 at 7:29 PM
Default Will there be a Sims 5??
I'm curious, what to people think/know?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 20th Mar 2018 at 8:32 PM
if there is i'm sure it'll have microtransactions.

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
Alchemist
#3 Old 20th Mar 2018 at 8:37 PM
There's no doubt in my mind that there will be.
Smeg Head
#4 Old 20th Mar 2018 at 8:39 PM
And will the Walking Dead ever end?
And will there really be a Judgement Day for us all?
And will folks ever search a bit more to find the other fifty threads asking the same question about a Sims 5 before they jump in and ask again?

I'm waiting for the real, hard core, gritty question to be asked.

Like, does anyone even trust EA Maxis to make another game, let alone another Sims? I mean a gamer's game. Not a 12-year-old's phone app game that also finds its way onto PC *first* somehow. Think that's a question too far, too loaded, to biased? Let's ask the once proud, reliable SimCity team what they think... Doh...

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Mad Poster
#5 Old 20th Mar 2018 at 8:44 PM
If they keep up doing on what they're doing, likely we won't be getting TS5. Either the end of TS4 is approaching or expect the franchise shifting to mobile devices any time soon.

I'd be just as happy If something other than EA or it-alike even tries to attempt recreating similar game to what The Sims Series has offered. More happy If their product is better than TS4 in some shape or form.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 20th Mar 2018 at 9:21 PM
It'll probably be a 2D mmo where you play as a young adult who's only motive is "fun", and you'll choose from a pre built and decorated selection of 5 homes for them to live in. If you want something different, build mode and buy mode will be sold in 2 seperate expansions for $80 a piece, and every interaction in the game will cost time and/or real money just like in those free to play mobile scams... I mean games.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 21st Mar 2018 at 1:15 AM
What I'm personally not sure is if TS4 will end in the same time-span as TS2/TS3 did (if I recall correctly, after the base game releases it was around 4 years of EP/SP/Store content and then it was over.) To me, TS4 seems so empty and bare compared to the previous games that I think that it still has a couple of years of new content for EA to release. If they have right now a team working on TS5 I think it's still a very rudimentary project.
Scholar
#8 Old 21st Mar 2018 at 7:51 AM
The colourwheel will be back! But with only 1 colour. The rest of the colours can be randomy unlocked by opening lootboxes that cost $5 each. Per clothing/furniture piece of course, EA needs to eat too!
Banned
#9 Old 21st Mar 2018 at 8:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mithrak_nl
The colourwheel will be back! But with only 1 colour. The rest of the colours can be randomy unlocked by opening lootboxes that cost $5 each. Per clothing/furniture piece of course, EA needs to eat too!

or buy each color and each brightness by $10 a piece.
if you want to have more than 1 sim per household, you need the family expansion pack. another $50 bucks.
if you want to have more than 1 level on your starter home, you need the building expansion pack. another $75 bucks.
if you want your sims to work you need the worker expansion pack. another $50 bucks.
if you want your sims to be able to eat and not to die of starvation, you need to purchase a fridge and a kitchen appliance. $20 bucks each.
thats sims 5.
Instructor
#11 Old 21st Mar 2018 at 12:02 PM
If there is and it's made by the same devs that made TS4, it'll probably be bad.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 21st Mar 2018 at 4:31 PM
The Sims 4 was a great game and has some real nice features such as the new CAS. The issue is how incomplete it was at launch and how many features that should've been present at launch or through free updates are expansions. It took years for EA to add toddlers. There's a stuff back that REQUIRES the Cats and Dogs expansion for the most part (this stuff pack should've come with Cats and Dogs). Considering EA shut down Maxis years ago, I sadly do not think there will be a Sims 5, and if there is, I hope it doesn't make the same mistakes which I listed that Sims 4 did
Banned
#13 Old 21st Mar 2018 at 5:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mudstep
The Sims 4 was a great game and has some real nice features such as the new CAS. The issue is how incomplete it was at launch and how many features that should've been present at launch or through free updates are expansions. It took years for EA to add toddlers. There's a stuff back that REQUIRES the Cats and Dogs expansion for the most part (this stuff pack should've come with Cats and Dogs). Considering EA shut down Maxis years ago, I sadly do not think there will be a Sims 5, and if there is, I hope it doesn't make the same mistakes which I listed that Sims 4 did

i am guessing we will have to accept a new delivery like now that simcity is dead and now we have skylines. maybe a successor came to replace it.
BTW i have lately play to sims 3, not only is quite buggy on the graphical side, it feels like sims 1. like if they ignored ALL sims 2 as if it where the worst sims ever. sims 2 ws awesome and best version up to date. buggy? sure but what sims version is not buggy?
Scholar
#14 Old 21st Mar 2018 at 6:12 PM Last edited by aeval99 : 30th Mar 2018 at 11:51 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Unsearchably
No, EA will forfeit their biggest money maker and focus on developing a new Plants & Zombies game.

I doubt that The Sims is close to being their biggest money maker. Mobile gaming is where the money is right now. After that it's online multiplayer shooters, console games, and EA sports probably makes a nice chunk of money too.

That being said, I can't imagine them giving up a franchise that appeals to such a wide, non-traditional gaming market. They will just have to figure out new ways to monetize it. After the recent Battlefront II disaster, they are probably scratching their heads and looking at plans C through F. If nothing else, they have found the boundary of just how far they can go, before gamers (and lawmakers) start pushing back...hard.

I'm not expecting 5 to be announced anytime soon. With only one EP a year, Sims 4 should be good for at least two more years. Seasons this year and then whatever people are still asking for the year after that.
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 21st Mar 2018 at 6:29 PM
I see EA (who were at the top of Metacritic's big gaming companies list last year) fell to sixth on the mid-sized companies this year. Behind Paradox, who release Cities: Skylines. I giggled.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 21st Mar 2018 at 10:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aeval99
I’m not expecting 5 to be announced anytime soon. With only one EP a year, Sims 4 should be good for at least two more years. Seasons this year and then whatever people are still asking for the year after that.

Crying that you may be right. I wish they would just stick a fork in it and call it done. There are good things about 4, but yawn, it just bores me so after I play a week or so after a new EP or pack is out.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 21st Mar 2018 at 11:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tamsin88
It'll probably be a 2D mmo where you play as a young adult whose only motive is "fun", and you'll choose from a pre built and decorated selection of 5 homes for them to live in. If you want something different, build mode and buy mode will be sold in 2 seperate expansions for $80 a piece, and every interaction in the game will cost time and/or real money just like in those free to play mobile scams... I mean games.

I agree 95%. Everything you said is correct, except that the only motive will be "bladder."
Instructor
#18 Old 22nd Mar 2018 at 6:56 PM
Honestly at this point, that isn't the question I've been wondering about. With how long Sims 4 is taking to be developed, will competition sweep in during that time?

With the games Paradox is developing, they are really upping games for the simulation genre. So I am hoping competition comes from them like how they squished SimCity's monopoly. I mean people said for years that RollerCoaster Tycoon, Zoo Tycoon, and SimCity would never get competition and they have competition now, so never say never. That's the thing with being over confident with corporations, is they tend not to set up a back-up plan for when competition actually arrives so barriers to entry has become easier than what it was like in the past. With the gaming market we have now with all the indie companies and everything, I see a brighter future for gaming beyond just the big gaming corporations.

There is one game I've been watching which I guess will have an early access to the game on April 23, 2018 called Identity. It is a MMO and it is more mature, but the simulation and customization I've seen on the houses and cars alone will make Sims 4 graphics and design seem outdated. I guess people have been enjoying Fallout 4 as well, so not like there is a lack of competition anyways depending if you want to create characters or build in games. That's the thing I never understood with the Sims 4 is their focus with CAS, when there are so many MMOs out there with better character creation features. I mean even with Guild Wars 2 being an older game, I can create more customization with characters. Even if there is a future for the Sims games, they got to up their game by a lot graphically and gameplay wise to even come close to the amount of features for what games offer now.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 22nd Mar 2018 at 7:04 PM
I said it on the official forums and I'll say it here....EA has basically trashed the game with their loot boxing, just as they Trashed SimCity. They wont fix it...cause let's face it, EA doesn't take responsibility for breaking the game and turning it into something completely unrecognizable.

They are just going to keep dumbing it down, breaking up content, making it look more like Farmville and putting a price on every little thing in the game that they can collect on. And when it's all said and done, and they have completely alienated the last veteran player of the franchise...it will go on a shelf, never to be heard from again...EA will then turn their focus on another cash grab and ruin another franchise in the process.

lather, rinse, repeat. Quality is definitely not EA's thing.
Banned
#20 Old 22nd Mar 2018 at 9:03 PM
I hope it will never end so I can enjoy new versions every time :D
Field Researcher
#21 Old 22nd Mar 2018 at 9:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by thevogel
I said it on the official forums and I'll say it here....EA has basically trashed the game with their loot boxing, just as they Trashed SimCity. They wont fix it...cause let's face it, EA doesn't take responsibility for breaking the game and turning it into something completely unrecognizable.

They are just going to keep dumbing it down, breaking up content, making it look more like Farmville and putting a price on every little thing in the game that they can collect on. And when it's all said and done, and they have completely alienated the last veteran player of the franchise...it will go on a shelf, never to be heard from again...EA will then turn their focus on another cash grab and ruin another franchise in the process.

Can EA Make money, YES so as long as they can they will wring every dollar they can with Sims5, Sims6, ect ect ect.
Field Researcher
#22 Old 23rd Mar 2018 at 12:11 AM Last edited by thevogel : 23rd Mar 2018 at 1:02 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Bur1440
Can EA Make money, YES so as long as they can they will wring every dollar they can with Sims5, Sims6, ect ect ect.

I get your point.... but after what they did with SimCity....made no effort to bring it back and redeem themselves...They just moved on to other games where they could make money.

I think they will continue to make half assed content for TS4... cause they're plenty of new players who have not played the previous versions... so to them it's the most fantastic game ever. They can continue to make bank on TS4 for a very long time. And they are still making money on TS2 and TS3 because of the veteran players who went back to those games.

I just don't think EA has what it takes to make a real Sims Life Simulator Sandbox game that we've been asking for. It's too easy for them to continue coming up with gimmicks and stringing along the sheep. For them to put the funds and time into making a Sims game that rivals everything else we've seen, would mean they would have to work for it.... Yeah, they don't have the balls or talent for it.
Scholar
#23 Old 23rd Mar 2018 at 2:28 AM Last edited by aeval99 : 30th Mar 2018 at 11:50 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Bur1440

But are they wringing out every dollar?

I don't really understand what they are doing with Sims 4. Compared to Sims 3 it almost seems like they don't want my money.

Stuff packs decreased by half the price. They don't have as much stuff, but it's mostly hairs and clothes that they skimp on and I never much cared about them anyway. I buy them all now, just to get whatever gadget and deco objects they have in them. The game packs are much better value for twenty bucks than the old stuff packs were but there are only about three a year. There's only one expansion per year now and non of them are must buy. Where's all the stuff?

I used to spend an average of forty bucks a month in the Sims 3 store, buying worlds I would never play just so I could get a chicken coop or a rollercoaster set and some nifty build objects. Ten bucks here for some Indian inspired clothing, ten bucks there for that country style kitchen, five bucks for some blind boxes where you didn't even know what you were getting until you opened it (they were like digital crack). Plus, two or three expansions a year and the occasional stuff pack. How are they making money this time around when they have no content for sale?

I know that many of the folks here don't want to spend a lot on Sims, especially if the don't think the content is worth it, but there were plenty of us fools who parted with our money easily and on a regular basis. I just don't get it.

Edited to fix whatever my ipad keyboard was doing.
Test Subject
#24 Old 23rd Mar 2018 at 9:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by thevogel

When the sims 4 first came out, I only bought the base game, played it for maybe a whole 24 hours before i finally accepted that its just a big old pile of trash. couple of months later, i googled when the sims 5 is coming out.
Whether or not this website still exists, i dunno. Couldn't remember it if you paid me but my basic answer was that EA said that they KNOW the sims 4 is trash, but if people don't play it then they won't bother making a sims 5.
Now that could mean a couple of things.
A) They're guilt tripping us so we can spend our money on this terrible version of the series. Almost like a child throwing a temper tantrum
B) They cut down drastically on costs, and tried to increase profit as much as possibly while still being able to call it a game.
C) They take their profit from the sims 4, pack up and bugger off
D) They're planning some amazing version for the sims 5 but just didn't have the software, money or whatever else to do it
E) The sims 5 is going to be even worse then the sims 4.

I'm desperately praying that they're going to realise their mistake with the sims 4 and just take it as a little trip down the hill and not just keep on rolling down that hill and come out with something even worse.
Field Researcher
#25 Old 23rd Mar 2018 at 6:15 PM
I think it will be
B) They cut down drastically on costs, and tried to increase profit as much as possibly while still being able to call it a game.
C) They take their profit from the sims 4, pack up and bugger off

And I don't remember which guru it was that said if we didn't buy TS4 we wouldn't get a TS5...but I feel that statement was total Horse Shit. In addition to the disaster that is now TS4 the attitude and lack of communication towards the simming community became so negative on EA/Maxis part. What little communication there is, it has been full of finger pointing and banning peeps from the forum for having any criticism of the game. The entire thing has been a PR nightmare and the gurus are basically a joke. All they do is make excuse after excuse as to why they can't make this and why they can't do that. "lounge chairs are too difficult to make because of all the animations"... All the while they are trashing the previous sims games...Which they created!!??

I don't see them even trying to redeem themselves after turning the franchise into a such a mess. They are cowards, full of excuses. I don't think there will be a Sims 5... unless it's just another mobile game.
Page 1 of 3