Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Apr 2018 at 7:00 AM
Default EA-Mage Showing as the Community Manager on the official site
I may be behind everyone, but what do we know about this? Wonder if she will be good news and do better? Or...
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 5th Apr 2018 at 7:30 AM
Until given a reason to think otherwise, SimGuruNinja is the only one I'd trust as community manager. He, Steve, and Graham are the only ones who consistently behave in a professional manner when addressing the harsher side of the fandom. That's what we need in a community manager. Someone who can actually handle what the people throw at them.

Drake's problem was how sensitive and trigger happy she was when she had control of the forum. It was slightly better on twitter, where had less control. But still pretty bad. Hopefully this Mage will be better.

The Receptacle still lives!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Apr 2018 at 7:46 AM
Getting popcorn. It takes a very patient, very good communicator for something like this. I might last an hour or 2, at most. LOL
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#4 Old 5th Apr 2018 at 9:11 AM
The EA_Name people have actually been doing the best job on the forums I remember ever. They are calm, neutral, responsive, and efficient at things like unstickying old announcements etc.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 5th Apr 2018 at 9:20 AM
That is good to hear. I ran as far away from the forums as I could when Drake was there, so if things are being handled far better now that is very good news.
Instructor
#6 Old 5th Apr 2018 at 9:26 AM
She's been an EA Community manager for months now. This thread explains how EA Community Manager isn't the same as a Sims Community Manager. https://forums.thesims.com/en_us/di...team-says-hello
"Are we Sims Community Managers or developers?
The short answer is - no. Everyone working directly with the studio itself is easily recognizable by having "Sim" in their forum names and titles like the SimGuru and the SimQA Team. The EA Forum Team members will have EA_ (like me EA_Mage) before their names."

If she was one, I think she would do a good job at it. I do agree Graham or Steve would make good ones as well. They both have dealt well with my Sims rants before, so I think they could handle it.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 5th Apr 2018 at 4:23 PM
For one thing, I know, as DeservedCritism has said it, and myself being the victim - (s)he has an overtop tone-policy.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 5th Apr 2018 at 9:41 PM
Given that discussions over there are closed at the drop of a hat and certain topics seem to be off limits like when Drake commented that the target audience are teens. I don’t think this a good thing. The forums are treated like a school play ground.
Theorist
#9 Old 5th Apr 2018 at 10:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Goldbear
The forums are treated like a school play ground.

which makes sense considering the game's obvious target audience. :v
Instructor
#10 Old 6th Apr 2018 at 6:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Goldbear
Given that discussions over there are closed at the drop of a hat and certain topics seem to be off limits like when Drake commented that the target audience are teens. I don’t think this a good thing. The forums are treated like a school play ground.

I find it ridiculously telling that an EA employee is now in charge of the forums instead of just someone on the Sims Team/from Maxis.
To me that says EA absolutely has an interest in creating a certain presentation on their forum and yes, EA is watching the Sims community and choosing their words/presentation very carefully to try and market the product as best as possible. That may sound innocent enough to some people, but the problem is that - as you've pointed out - sometimes the best presentation involves pretending mistakes or gaffs of theirs just never happened and silencing those that dare acknowledge them. I mean they've bothered dedicating a worker to the task, and the amount of "off-limits" discussions - and what those off-limit discussions actually are - gives the impression EA wants visitors to think the Sims 4 is absolutely perfect and devoid of controversy. They want users grinning so hard their lips clip through their eyeballs just like the Sims themselves.

I mean they won't censor things like genuine criticism of My First Pet Stuff because that's just gonna fuel consumer dissatisfaction. However, any EA/Maxis quotes that suggest the staff may have issues, the budget may be lacking or the target goals of the project may actively neglect long-time users...? Those have a habit of disappearing. I even recall...there's a general feedback thread they have stickied that was made by one of the EA employees, and the opening statement suggests "a new makeup style" or a new hairstyle as examples of feedback to give them. I posted a genuine question to ask if that thread was intended solely for things like aesthetic suggestions such as new clothing and makeup styles, because the overwhelming focus on that kind of content is my exact problem with the game, so my feedback would be to change course away from those. Asked cause I didn't want to make gameplay recommendations if they weren't welcomed or would be removed for being "off-topic." My post was simply deleted with no actual response given. I'm left to assume they either didn't like my critique and viewed that as "off-topic," or maybe the thread was indeed just intended for aesthetic feedback.

I know nothing of this person and they seem more professional than Drake ever was. However, I've seen some overzealous moderation and a spike in how many of my posts just quietly disappear with no attention called to it (no general post saying "posts have been removed because X" and no warning or explanation in my PMs), and as I said I find it a bit alarming an EA employee is now staffed there. I would assume the goal of putting an EA employee instead of a Maxis one there is to keep the Sims and the forums on a tight leash. Someone in EA cares enough and sees enough potential dollar signs that they have a directly staffed employee covering this task. There's probably a reason she's there, and I'm betting it has something to do with marketing a certain presentation that promotes the game better, and I fear that involves more censorship of things that could spark drama, regardless of if those very topics are absolutely relevant to the development and quality of the game. (teen demographic being a great example)
Mad Poster
#11 Old 6th Apr 2018 at 6:55 AM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 6th Apr 2018 at 7:10 AM.
Recent ones? As far as I see, nothing drop below and it's still 2175 of your all comments last time I check. Though would have really made a difference, If someone from Maxis was in charge of such role? Wouldn't they have the tendency/motivation to also censor negative feedback? Perhaps is odd that EA employee would be assign as the person/team that know little of the product's content in-game mechanics and whatnot, but don't see a difference really who would take the role. Both have the same agenda.

I was one day considering posting a rant to question and ask for proof from the fandom that developers do care/love/have-the-passion for the sims anymore (mostly why there's no close hint/evidence that any of their feedback is turning into reality), but the way you see the things being handled by mods I'm kinda afraid my thread would turn out to be a waste time and just taken to the garbage dumpster.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 6th Apr 2018 at 8:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Recent ones? As far as I see, nothing drop below and it's still 2175 of your all comments last time I check. Though would have really made a difference, If someone from Maxis was in charge of such role? Wouldn't they have the tendency/motivation to also censor negative feedback? Perhaps is odd that EA employee would be assign as the person/team that know little of the product's content in-game mechanics and whatnot, but don't see a difference really who would take the role. Both have the same agenda.

I was one day considering posting a rant to question and ask for proof from the fandom that developers do care/love/have-the-passion for the sims anymore (mostly why there's no close hint/evidence that any of their feedback is turning into reality), but the way you see the things being handled by mods I'm kinda afraid my thread would turn out to be a waste time and just taken to the garbage dumpster.

I don’t think that thread would last five minutes. Funny that many of the bans only happen to critics, never to people who gush over the game.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 6th Apr 2018 at 9:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ShigemiNotoge
which makes sense considering the game's obvious target audience. :v

Heck, I find it even funny they dunno how to even cater correctly for the wrong narrowly down limited group they chose. I think teenage girls are more into boybands and celebrities (sort of like Katy Perry endorsement might have "worked" If TS4 Drake might have shared their one-sided perspective what they think their players of generation z like) than some fart jokes (really? do girls enjoy that sort of stuff??) and overtop goofy-cartoonish humour. So what is it, is the game geared towards teenage teens or younger pipsqueaks below 7-year-olds?

Mad Poster
#14 Old 6th Apr 2018 at 9:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DeservedCriticism
. I even recall...there's a general feedback thread they have stickied that was made by one of the EA employees, and the opening statement suggests "a new makeup style" or a new hairstyle as examples of feedback to give them. I posted a genuine question to ask if that thread was intended solely for things like aesthetic suggestions such as new clothing and makeup styles, because the overwhelming focus on that kind of content is my exact problem with the game, so my feedback would be to change course away from those. Asked cause I didn't want to make gameplay recommendations if they weren't welcomed or would be removed for being "off-topic." My post was simply deleted with no actual response given. I'm left to assume they either didn't like my critique and viewed that as "off-topic," or maybe the thread was indeed just intended for aesthetic feedback.

What makes me question, also thanks by bringing to my attention, why the heck there's a duplicate thread over one that's four years agp thread. If you check the forum, you can see the comment I left over this concern and it might not be long before it gets deleted so just in case for history records I'm gonna upload the screenshot of it in the spoiler here. What pisses me that new one is like February's old and is the shortest one, while the decade one is like freakin 184 pages long. I about you start reading and taking in feedback from the latter thing oppose to creating an unnecessary new one, Or are they gonna pretend it doesn't exist? Smh. Pfft I have seen better pretenders so keep on trying.

Field Researcher
#15 Old 6th Apr 2018 at 11:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
That is good to hear. I ran as far away from the forums as I could when Drake was there, so if things are being handled far better now that is very good news.

To be honest I find the new policy (I don't know who can be blamed for that, it might be just that, policy) of constantly closing topics over nothing very annoying. Like, there was a topic going on yesterday where I commented. Then real life got in the way. When I opened the forum in the evening there were two interesting cases brought up in that particular topic (a link that had to defend a statement but in my view didn't at all and someone who stated Sims needs EA/Maxis to be unique and humorous - I respectfully disagree), but I couldn't react to it anymore because the topic had been closed. Because 'the conversation was going around in circles and causing a lot of frustration for all involved'. I was involved, but not frustrated? And besides, even if I were, nothing wrong with a little frustration, I can handle that.

I see this often, topics being closed because a moderator thinks enough is enough. It's like an umpire in a tennis match who frequently leaves their high chair to grab the ball out of the air in the middle of a rally saying: "yeahyeahyeah, tic toc tic toc, we've seen it by now, this rally has been going on far too long now and you're both looking so agressive and apparently can't make the point, new game!" Or someone visiting a public party turning the lights off at twelve because they've had enough and want to go to bed and they don't like the way people are dancing.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 6th Apr 2018 at 11:44 AM
It's kinda hilarious. May as well lock down the whole forum because one thread out of billion got a bit rough and heated. I feel like we should be opening more topics like this... so all of them could get closed and mods would keep up making fools of themselves. Honestly, the forum needs more drama (in a rational and good sense of such dose) so things could get fueled, cuz the "lol locking this thread trolololol" protocol is getting ridiculous. Yeah that policy is stupid, I rather have mods like split somehow into new threads and move the comments in the newly created thread (dedicated sub-forum: debates?) because they already do all the moving and lifting with the merging duplicate threads into one. It should be the other way around: lock the duplicates and leave a link to the thread that open first-beaten, merging them makes it all confusing to read like as the comments get shuffled so randomly in place.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 6th Apr 2018 at 11:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
It's kinda hilarious. May as well lock down the whole forum because one thread out of billion got a bit rough and heated. I feel like we should be opening more topics like this... so all of them could get closed and mods would keep up making fools of themselves. Honestly, the forum needs more drama (in a rational and good sense of such dose) so things could get fueled, cuz the "lol locking this thread trolololol" protocol is getting ridiculous.

Sometimes a topic isn’t even that heated, like this particular one. It’s just..., a moderator (been one myself a few years ago) makes sure things don’t get out of hand and stay on topic (and don’t get personal). That’s it really. Hence my umpire comparison: the best umpires you don’t notice they’re there. If people have conversations going in circles, they apparently feel like having a conversation going in circles (I disagree it was btw but that’s just my opinion). A moderator is not (or in my view shouldn’t be, obviously) a discussion leader.
#18 Old 6th Apr 2018 at 12:27 PM
It's better than to close the thread *after* making a snarky comment about one or more posts or posters like on some sites. That smacks of just wanting to make sure you get the last word in. At least they're able to close threads in a way that doesn't appear to single anyone out.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#19 Old 6th Apr 2018 at 11:23 PM
Some of the threads here get way off topic, and some go back and forth and back and forth about some topics, but unless flaming or hints of it start they are usually left open. To me a mod comment to get back on topic or cool it is fine. But generally closing threads should not be needed as seems to be the too often stance at the official site.

I tend to stay away from the official forums as like the more mature, more informed crowd here. But when anyone wants to go to the official site for whatever reason, it should not feel like you are walking into daycare.
Field Researcher
#20 Old 7th Apr 2018 at 7:39 AM
I think there’s quite some mature simmers over there as well but yeah, I much prefer to be treated as a mature person as seems to be the case here too. I recognize Goldbear’s school play ground feeling at times.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#21 Old 7th Apr 2018 at 8:24 AM
This site does not seem to attract the 12s, no offense to the mature ones (!), which to me is nice. When I have been there I have seen folks who know the game well and post articulately about it, but also saw too much that was just too juvenile for me.
Field Researcher
#22 Old 7th Apr 2018 at 9:58 AM
There are some mature people over there. But I feel it is hard to have a discussion/debate without mods stepping in and saying: “enough is enough” when they feel that point has been reached. But not when everyone else feels that point has been reached if you know what I mean.

There is a thread there that got closed because it got resurrected a few times and was time to close it. What the hell is that? Feedback apparently has an expiration date. Well saying that I remember Drake saying exactly that. But it’s ridiculous.

I have been a mod before but I did not have to be that strict thankfully.
Field Researcher
#23 Old 9th Apr 2018 at 7:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
This site does not seem to attract the 12s, no offense to the mature ones (!), which to me is nice. When I have been there I have seen folks who know the game well and post articulately about it, but also saw too much that was just too juvenile for me.

I have to say, I’ve been active on a (Dutch) forum for years where a lot of kids were active and there was a great atmosphere. So I’m not even sure it’s always an age thing, maturity
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#24 Old 10th Apr 2018 at 1:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Jo-Anne
I have to say, I’ve been active on a (Dutch) forum for years where a lot of kids were active and there was a great atmosphere. So I’m not even sure it’s always an age thing, maturity

I think you are 100% right. Maturity can come or be absent at any age.
#25 Old 10th Apr 2018 at 12:18 PM
And you can be immature and pleasant at the same time.

Page 1 of 2