Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#26 Old 17th Apr 2018 at 12:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
Actually, to be fair, in the game, some of the personality types are indicative of a personality problem.
For instance-an 'ultra neat' (8+ points) pixel might have OCD as part of their makeup-obsession with cleanliness.
Or a very shy (less than 2 points) pixel might have social anxiety disorder.
An extroverted pixel might be demonstrating signs of exhibitionism.

That's a good point about extremes in shyness-outgoing actually. Luckily, sims don't seem to suffer from it. Except when Crumplebottom is on the lot. But I never liked how the game (and by extension players) confused shyness and being outgoing with introversion and extroversion. I happen to be a shy introvert, one thing is debilitating, the other thing not. My shyness can be helped, my introversion is not a problem. You can be a shy extrovert or an outgoing introvert.
I have to disagree about the 'ultra neat = OCD' association though, OCD is strongly associated with obsession with cleanliness, but it's - again - a little complex. Robert Sapolsky explains it here but the context begins here. Sims miss work because they can't stop talking when eating breakfast, not because they had to go back home to wash their hands for 2 hours in a complex ritual because they 'kept getting dirty'. I do agree that the ultra neat sims are a bit obsessed with hygiene, I just wouldn't call it OCD.
(On a side note, listening to it again, this may explain some of the weirder beliefs about vampires and fairies entering homes and vampires having to count stuff!)

The automatic link people lay between physical disabilities and stupidity is at best frustrating in real life, but from a psychological perspective fascinating. Is it something we are hardwired to do? Did we evolve it for a reason or is it an accident?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 17th Apr 2018 at 2:22 PM
I think it is unfortunately hardwired and also repeated from external forces.
In the case of deafness, it's always been associated in popular culture with old people and the perceived 'lack of brains' that it supposedly represents.
But it is not the only disability that is treated like that. Blindness is as well.

"Personal perfection" is considered the norm in most cultures and those who do not live up to that norm are considered less than human.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#28 Old 17th Apr 2018 at 2:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Isa-WP
The automatic link people lay between physical disabilities and stupidity is at best frustrating in real life, but from a psychological perspective fascinating. Is it something we are hardwired to do? Did we evolve it for a reason or is it an accident?

The question is, why do human beings have a hard time accepting differences?
The majority of us have all our pieces, our eyes sees, our ears hears, our brain function as it should etc. The majority of us are what a human being is *meant to be*.
If one of these is not functioning, or if you are missing a leg etc....you are considered to be different.
People always had problems with this, it is not new, it is probably there since this world exist.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Mad Poster
#29 Old 17th Apr 2018 at 3:33 PM
I don't strictly play any kind of mental disorders in my game. I have a few Sims I see as being 'depressed' but I'm quite a lazy simmer so anything outside of what they normally do (e.g. constantly lowering a need, cancelling certain interactions) seems like too much of a chore.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Field Researcher
#30 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 12:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
The question is, why do human beings have a hard time accepting differences?
The majority of us have all our pieces, our eyes sees, our ears hears, our brain function as it should etc. The majority of us are what a human being is *meant to be*.
If one of these is not functioning, or if you are missing a leg etc....you are considered to be different.
People always had problems with this, it is not new, it is probably there since this world exist.

It's pretty understandable why we are this way with a little bit of evolutionary psychology, sociology and anthropology. (Word of caution: evolutionary psychology sometimes lays too much emphasis on how traits are 'adaptive', while some behaviours are just accidents. No field of science is perfect, however.) Naturally, we live in tribes with at best 100-150 individuals in it, a lot of them family. I've heard of a test in which people unconsciously ascribed more negative traits to people they were told liked a different painter, and more positive traits to people they were told liked the same painter. Basically, we're really sloppily 'programmed' socially, i.e. nature has to do with what it has and solutions aren't always elegant. We're tribal about almost anything, even stuff that should just make us happy and isn't of great importance, like music, games, art and sports. We're suspicious about anything that looks 'off' and we have to be suspicious of people that are sick, because for 10.000-100.000 years of humanity we couldn't really treat anything and a lot was contagious, but we didn't know what so we erred on the side of caution. By the way, in that lecture of Sapolsky he does mention that certain mental disorders/disabilities were (and still are) greatly appreciated in primal communities because people think those people can do (good) magic. Why we think that is a whole different story.
Luckily, we can do better than our genes, but it takes some work. Sims on the other hand, are not programmed to discriminate in the first place, which is why they don't care about whether you like sports or art, as long as you don't bore them with it.

Also, as a rule, stuff that is normal in your community is not seen as a delusion by people working in psychiatry. If 40% of the population believes they actually go somewhere else in their dreams, you're not delusional, you just believe something a lot of people in your community believe. So Knowledge sims who seem to have a death wish (wish to be saved from death) don't have a problem: sims know resurrection AND pleading with the Grim Reaper is possible and Knowledge sims want to try everything once, that's just how Knowledge sims are. Even if it was not actually possible, it would still be common 'knowledge' that you can be resurrected or be pleaded for with the Grim Reaper and so it's not a delusion. Luckily Maxis wasn't so cruel!
Scholar
#31 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 9:47 PM
I don't deliberately play mental disorders because I don't regard Sims as humans in the first place. Therefore, they'd be better-qualified to tell me whether they have any sort of disorder than I would be to them. In contrast to a visible, physical disability, like blindness in one eye, where at least I can use the (not effective in-game, let alone in reality, but fine for storytelling) notion that "you are blind in one eye because that's why the eye patch got placed on it and you just happen to have made a perfect adaptation to it except where indicated otherwise". In any case, some fairly common human mental disorders don't appear to have a playable analogy in the Sims series. I don't think I could play a Sim with aviphobia* effectively, given how the game is set up, let alone something more intricate like OCD or autism...

* - aviphobia would be a clinical fear of birds. Technically feasible (just make the Sim lose aspiration points when in the same room as a bird) but would require a mod that I don't have and don't know how to find.
Mad Poster
#32 Old 19th Apr 2018 at 12:25 AM
Dear Disagreer:

I would like to see in person your rationale for disagreeing with my statements on personal disability.

As one who is disabled to an extent that I rather doubt you are, I find it fascinating that you pass judgement on a statement that comes from extensive personal experience.

If you want to be obnoxious, please go somewhere else. I'm not the type to get argumentative over many things, but being 'dissed' for my personal input on my own disability is insulting. The mods can lock this thread and I'm well aware of the dangers of posting this statement.

But you do no service to anyone by being here to raise hackles.

And that is the last statement I'll make on this issue on this thread.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Page 2 of 2