Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Meet Me In My Next Life
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th May 2018 at 2:25 AM Last edited by Simonut : 15th May 2018 at 2:37 AM.
Default Do you all think this is too much ?
I know in the past this have been talk about, Today I decided to back up my game since I have some new things going on in my game.
To my extra outside hard drive that sat on my desk top the set up I have copy 30,820 items ( 8.31GB ) it that really over the top for a Sims game ?

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 12th May 2018 at 2:42 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 12th May 2018 at 2:19 PM.
8 GB isn't much, really. How much you can have depend more on your computer setup, and on the content itself (large textures over 1024x1024 and high-poly meshes tend to be bad for performance, possibly also uncompressed files because those can be huge), but most average non-gaming computers would probably handle at least 8 GB of CC without any big issues. I'm pretty sure a lot of us around MTS have at least 8 GB of CC. Personally I'd prefer to put in all the CC I have, but that would probably blow up my computer (I'm a CC hoarder, 'nuff said).

I've had roughly 30-36 GB on my stationary (may take roughly 1 hour to load, and runs relatively well but with the occasional pink-flashing issue), but I've now edited the Stationary CC folder and took out a bunch of useless files plus content I haven't used, and so far it's down to around 22-24 GB (but currently untested because the computer is acting up atm). My current laptop runs without any lag with somewhere in between 4-12 GB (5-20 min loading), but I try to keep the amount of CC at a minimum, so it's probably able to handle a whole lot more. My old, dead laptop could handle 9-10 GB with some lag, but after installing FT+ and pushing it to 14 GB it took me up to 3-4 hours just to start the game, let alone load a lot (I got it in 2006, and that antique had 512 mb memory and just an on-board graphic card, though having Win XP did help).
Instructor
#3 Old 12th May 2018 at 10:57 AM
If all those 30,820 items are things you like and your computer can handle them, who cares? It's just over the top if you think it is. After all, it's your game, not everyone's.

8 GB isn't that much for someone who owns an account at MTS.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 12th May 2018 at 11:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Simonut
I have copy 30,820 items ( 8.31GB ) it that really over the top for a Sims game ?

No.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 12th May 2018 at 11:33 AM
My old game had 20Gigs, someone on here has 70 and lets it load all night. It's too much once you can't stand waiting for it to load or of course if it's causing lots of crashes and glitches. I would say you need another 15 thousand at least! Once I get my computer fixed up my plan is for between 12-15 Gigs since an hour of loading at 20Gigs was really too much.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#6 Old 12th May 2018 at 12:14 PM
Can your machine handle it, and are you willing to put up with any inconvenience because of it? (long loading times, any lag times, etc.).

I'm trying to slow down on CC because of certain limitations with my particular game with which others don't seem to have a problem and my machine's limitations. I find that to do so, there are categories of CC I don't indulge in quite as much. Even so, I'm still around 4.8 GB, so I'm not THAT angelic!

If you and your machine can handle 8 GBs, enjoy!

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Theorist
#7 Old 12th May 2018 at 2:07 PM
Your game, your rules. ;-)
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 12th May 2018 at 2:34 PM
No, is not, as much as your computer can run your game and cc do not crush your game, perfect!!
Field Researcher
#9 Old 12th May 2018 at 6:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Someone on here has 70 and lets it load all night.

And here I was worrying due to 10 GB

I am speechless, though. Just imagine: you have been waiting for your 70 GB of CC to load, and suddenly, when the bar above the loading screen is one jump away from finishing, BAM, the power goes out. I would head to bed right away and start sobbing.

As for the question, nah, if your computer can handle it, then chiiiiiill. Although I am sure you only use 3 or 4 GB, but that is a topic for another thread
Link Ninja
#10 Old 12th May 2018 at 7:42 PM
8gig not too much. I had 15gig of cc last I checked. But also as those above me have said, it depends on your computer too.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Alchemist
#11 Old 12th May 2018 at 8:21 PM Last edited by mdsb759 : 12th May 2018 at 9:34 PM.
whether an amount of content is too much or not I think would depend on the percentage of computer memory the content takes up; rather than on their total size.
if there is enough free space for Disc Defragmenter to work (15% for XP), then there would not be too much content. less free space; it might be good to remove some stuff.

edit:: the removal of stuff would not necessarily need to be from this game.
and compressing files could at times be an alternative to removing.
Meet Me In My Next Life
Original Poster
#12 Old 14th May 2018 at 4:16 AM
Thank you everyone for your opinions No, my computer is not slow loading up, I just did not realize I had that many items.
But I really need to stay out of the WCIF forum, because whenever I go there someone always have an idea of what they want, then I sometime end up getting it for myself if such mod or item exist.
I also need to stay out of the download section, both places is hard to stay out of,I think I am very addicted.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 14th May 2018 at 4:32 AM
I will shove as much into mine as it will take before the loading gets too slow.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#14 Old 14th May 2018 at 5:25 AM
11+ Gigs Here!

I think Ihate said this once: Computer hasn't caught fire yet? Time to download more CC!

For my physical health, I can't eat cheesecake everyday.
For my mental health, I imagine eating cheesecake everyday.
It's a delicate balance.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 14th May 2018 at 6:28 AM
CC = 320 MB and proud of it.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Instructor
#16 Old 14th May 2018 at 7:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by marka93
CC = 320 MB and proud of it.

Talk about a lot 145 MB here. I'm rebuilding my CC, minimizing for a faster game, I haven't redownloaded any hairs yet but I doubt it will be more than 55 MB.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 14th May 2018 at 11:36 AM
I'm such a piker compared to others-I only have about 5 gigs of stuff in my game.
But it runs, and loads comparatively well for the full game-about 20 minutes.
I'm a very patient person...

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 15th May 2018 at 1:03 AM
I only have 4 GB - 2 for the Medieval neighbourhood, and 2 for the rest.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 15th May 2018 at 1:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
I'm such a piker compared to others-I only have about 5 gigs of stuff in my game.
But it runs, and loads comparatively well for the full game-about 20 minutes.
I'm a very patient person...

lol, my whole The Sims 2 folder is less than 5GB...I am ready to play in less than one minute.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Mad Poster
#20 Old 15th May 2018 at 3:14 AM
Well, I do have a lot of hairs...

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#21 Old 15th May 2018 at 3:29 AM
I have 2.5GB of hair (meshes and all) And I think i have too many that I never use. I must re-clean this up.

Forum Resident
#22 Old 16th May 2018 at 1:33 AM
I was playing on a mac/PC bootcamp setup for a while and had to keep mine super minimal, I think I only had a few hairs and some default replacements. I broke down and just got it for Mac (which is less annoying to run but lacks most of my favorite content) so now I can have more storage! I only have 73 MG right now in my downloads. I'm fighting the urge to reinstall bootcamp now that I have a bigger drive... we will see.
Meet Me In My Next Life
Original Poster
#23 Old 16th May 2018 at 2:50 AM
@Rosebine I agree with you I going to do a clean up again, WARNING ! Don't do it like I use to do, I made a file and called it "Maybe Keep" I would go through my downloads and pull out what I did not want.
And place it in the"Maybe Keep" that was not a good idea because, I would go through that file for the last time around, and end up pulling out packages once again, telling myself "I better keep this just incase."
And in the end I was right back where I started ( lol ) hoarding Sims files that is not needed. I no longer do that any more I just go down the list and delete. out of sight out of mind. hahaha

Mad Poster
#24 Old 16th May 2018 at 3:46 AM
I can't say it is hard to do. Especially, when all the files have tool tips...I am just lazy. lol What will take time, will be to go through all in BodyShop, and write down the names I want to get rid of. Like I said, I'm lazy.