Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#51 Old 28th Jun 2018 at 5:55 PM
So, according to google that's Busan in South Korea, fitting my "emerging countries" filter. I suppose that there wasn't very much there to begin with so acquiring the plot and building without any neighbours complaining must have been easier.

Because I was just thinking that there's another factor why old cities in Europe don't have many skyscrapers in the city centre: you need a huge piece of land first and that means you'll need deep pockets because the plots in cities are small and you will need to pay off a lot of owners. The highrises I have in my city are therefore either on formerly war torn land, in the suburbs or on big enough pieces of land that was in the possession of one owner (like the city government) and that was sold as a whole.
Plus streets in old cities tend to be narrow; the logistics involved to build there without tearing down a whole quarter must be immense, i.e. too expensive, and you'd probably have to relocate hundreds of people.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#52 Old 28th Jun 2018 at 6:13 PM
Not only that, but the population density in old European cities is very high and those people will fight tooth and nail to preserve their view, their sunlight and their relative privacy. Over here we don't really bother with building massive towers in the middle of old town: Amsterdam builds whatever they want wherever they want, as long as it can't be seen from old town. Rotterdam doesn't really have anywhere to build that isn't postwar already, and other cities like The Hague and Eindhoven prefer to build in places that might at one point have had some sort of old town, that got torn down ages ago.

In Paris they tried it once and everyone hated it. Now in most of the rest of Europe, as far as I know, they don't have that luxury. Those towers have to go somewhere and it just as well might be across the street from your 18th century condo.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
dodgy builder
#53 Old 28th Jun 2018 at 6:36 PM
Where I live space is limited from a natural point of view as well. Every buildable plot in my country has som sort of terrain you have to negotiate. Some of the norwegian fjords are so steep, whatever building you make will be lower ... I presume. Like in Austria, building big buildings between the mountains isn't easy.
Lab Assistant
#54 Old 28th Jun 2018 at 8:41 PM
First the 'on fleek' thread, now that... you guys are really terrible at staying on-topic
Mad Poster
#55 Old 28th Jun 2018 at 8:53 PM
It's the weather. Too damn hot!

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
#56 Old 28th Jun 2018 at 11:35 PM
To be frank, I don't really know what this thread is actually about. Is it about a TS3 world in the making? Well, then it is the wrong section anyway and belongs to "Creator Feedback". This is Discussion, and discussion is what we will do.
If it is about general ideas on how to structure a city world, well, then we are on-topic.

But, okay, I'll give my two cents on the original post. A world that contains everything from all EPs, including universities and some sort of adventuring, and is still supposed to be teeming with life - my prediction? It will be unplayable, at least for the majority of people. I mean, how many lots will you need for this then?
nitromon already pointed to the Paris world as being too big and, IIRC, that one is still unpopulated.

And in more seriousness, how can you make a city world with apartments, tombs, universities and what not with only the base game and Pets as requirements? No tombs without WA, no apartments or city life without LN and no universities without UL
Mad Poster
#57 Old 29th Jun 2018 at 12:08 AM
Yeah as far as the actual topic of the thread goes, there's very little to work with. But we're creative folk here, we'll merrily chit-chat our way through.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#59 Old 29th Jun 2018 at 1:21 AM
That probably goes for every "world's tallest building" since the Empire State. Especially that kilometer-tall thing they're building in Saudi. Towns like that were nothing more than primitive settlements not 50 years ago, and we're supposed to believe that they're the great economic hubs of the 21st century now? I'm sure that holds up for a place like Hong Kong or Shanghai or whatever, but I don't see Dubai being much more than a big fad. We had our period of obscene wealth, it lasted about 50 years, we ran the most valuable corporation in human history (still is) out of the most important city in the world (not so much anymore). It may never have officially ended, but it certainly would've if we were reckless enough to build anything that far-fetched.

Either way, I'm not entirely sure what conclusions can be drawn here but it would seem that cultural preservation, in terms of cityscapes, is a thing that is reserved for the wealthier countries. Some countries build giant towers because they can, others DON'T build giant towers because they can. Building a really tall building is by no means an art. The art is building a really tall building that makes sense, that looks good and that improves the lives of everyone involved.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#60 Old 29th Jun 2018 at 1:37 AM
I worked for a few years on the 21st floor in San Francisco and we could look out the windows and see guys walking. There was construction next door and the workers were walking on the girders are they called (?) like they were walking on the ground. Terrifying to look at. LOL OMG how can they do that????? Nerves of steel for sure, and balance.
Mad Poster
#61 Old 29th Jun 2018 at 1:56 AM
Yeah I can't even think about doing that. I was up on an 85th floor a few years ago and wouldn't even step onto the observation deck. It had very tall fences around it and directly below it was another, wider deck, but I would not come close to that edge. Hell I barely made it up that last flight of stairs, even though the interior of the building was little more than thick concrete walls at that point. Might have to settle for that 59th floor one they're building near me. All glass, that's gotta be fun.

insert signature here
Test Subject
Original Poster
#62 Old 29th Jun 2018 at 2:05 AM
Requesting moderator locks the thread. Reason : Topic is going inevitably off-topic.
Mad Poster
#63 Old 29th Jun 2018 at 2:06 AM
Maybe don't start a thread if you don't really have a topic to begin with?

insert signature here
Test Subject
Original Poster
#64 Old 29th Jun 2018 at 2:08 AM
I had a topic but you guys took it off the rails.
Mad Poster
#65 Old 29th Jun 2018 at 2:30 AM
As suggested, perhaps post in creator feedback, but I would wait until you are much farther along on this project. Wait until there is a partially done world to see and folks can comment on. And/or, listen to the advice of some of us that your plans may be too ambitious and what you want to do may be unplayable? I would hate to see you spend years on something that maybe others and maybe even you would not be able to use.
#66 Old 29th Jun 2018 at 8:10 AM Last edited by Don Babilon : 29th Jun 2018 at 9:21 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Trylk248
I had a topic but you guys took it off the rails.
Maybe you could respond to those questions and points raised by others that do refer to your topic then? By doing that one can get a thread back on track.

So, I do have a few questions and points:

- In your initial post you said that the minimum requirements are the base game and Pets. This is impossible if you want to keep all the ideas you have of what one can do in this world. You already went beyond that yourself when you posted the picture of the square with the subway stations; they are from Late Night.
You should probably edit that post and say that all EPs will be required.

- The lot(s) with the subway stations raises another question: can one control the behaviour of subway stations? Like limiting the range of one and make it such that you can only use the, for example, left one to get to a specific point? If not then this lot might be nice to look at but will not be very useful, especially for people who use mods to enable all Sims living in a world to use the subway. They might end up travelling in circles from one station to the next.

- I don't understand what you mean by map and maps. In the pictures and one of your videos you use the Champs les Sims map, and in another video the Oasis Landing map. So, what is it that you are actually trying to do? One big world that contains everything and you just haven't decided what map to use as a base, or are you really working on all of them? But why?

- Impeccable routing is NOT the cure-all for bad performance; the difference between okay routing and perfect routing can in fact be minimal when it comes to overall performance. Personally I have never seen that big of a difference when using an original EA world and then the version of that world with fixed routing. Instead my computer struggles with worlds that are too big and too populated, no matter how polished the map is.

And as an aside, I would actually be thankful when people use my thread to chat during my absence. Because unless I update it more regularly myself this will keep my thread on the top of the forum. Plus I can learn useful things, like if I aim for a European-style city I'd probably be well served to not make it look like Busan.
Top Secret Researcher
#67 Old 29th Jun 2018 at 11:56 AM
I think they want you to join their discord for creating this... whatever this is. They just dropped the link subtly, so to not break any forum rules or not seem like a douche, Ended up a bit bigger douche this way tho...
Mad Poster
#68 Old 29th Jun 2018 at 1:54 PM
Don't actually join the Discord though or you'll find out what a douche this guy really is....let's just say that no one's ever talked to me like that before, and if they had, I'd (rightfully) punched them in the face for it.
You entitled fuck.

insert signature here
Test Subject
Original Poster
#69 Old 29th Jun 2018 at 7:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Don Babilon
- In your initial post you said that the minimum requirements are the base game and Pets. This is impossible if you want to keep all the ideas you have of what one can do in this world. You already went beyond that yourself when you posted the picture of the square with the subway stations; they are from Late Night.
You should probably edit that post and say that all EPs will be required.

Thanks for raising up the point. I forgot to mention that.

- The lot(s) with the subway stations raises another question: can one control the behavior of subway stations? Like limiting the range of one and make it such that you can only use the, for example, left one to get to a specific point? If not then this lot might be nice to look at but will not be very useful, especially for people who use mods to enable all Sims living in a world to use the subway. They might end up traveling in circles from one station to the next.

- I don't understand what you mean by map and maps. In the pictures and one of your videos you use the Champs Les Sims map, and in another video the Oasis Landing map. So, what is it that you are actually trying to do? One big world that contains everything and you just haven't decided what map to use as a base, or are you really working on all of them? But why?

No, I was trying (yesterday) to do something else... Yesterday I shown earlier the progress on the project. Then I wanted to build (a random build off the project). And no, I want a map (PLAYABLE WORLD) where you can find Nectaries, fields that you can own (planned for Country-side maps), bars, apartment (High-rises/Normal buildings (Like the one I'm making in Oasis Landing (which MAYBE I will include in a Futuristic World. (SEPARATE AND WE ARE NOT THERE YET)

- Impeccable routing is NOT the cure-all for bad performance; the difference between okay routing and perfect routing can in fact be minimal when it comes to overall performance. Personally I have never seen that big of a difference when using an original EA world and then the version of that world with fixed routing. Instead my computer struggles with worlds that are too big and too populated, no matter how polished the map is.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the advice. I will take note of that.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#70 Old 29th Jun 2018 at 7:14 PM
By the way, I edited the first message.
Mad Poster
#71 Old 29th Jun 2018 at 10:06 PM
By the way, I edited the first message.

Perhaps delete post 39 if you are saying you have removed the discord invite?

And just IMO, but you are doing a heck of a lot of promotion, here, trello, discord, twitch for a project that is not even in the infancy stage yet, and odds are extremely good that it will never be completed. Maybe wait until you are much farther along until waving the flags on this?

As suggested before, maybe post in creator feedback when you are at least half done?
Scholar
#73 Old 30th Jun 2018 at 12:42 PM
If I may add a bit -

it's very hard to make reasonable "city feel" in Sims3 without turning the game upside down, just look - Bridgeport is literally a few crossroads, as is Barcelona for example,* - it's not even "a block" in American meaning, I suppouse; The only way to create that "city feel" would be possible by extensive use of decorative or other "fake" buildings as fillers. That way you can have a feeling of the city and reasonable load without overcrowding the map with lots.

I'd advice OP to check existing approaches there and there. It would be not reasonable to put great investments, and such project would be a hudge one, creating something completely unplayable or for weaker machines even barely loadable.

"European"
Barcelona: http://nilxisdesigns.blogspot.com/2...na-english.html
Dronningslund: http://fagersims.tumblr.com/post/87...res-description
"American"
Vice CIty: http://www.freshprincecreations.com/ts3vicecity.htm
Los Aniegos: http://sims3.thesimscatalog.com/sim...gos-ip-edition/
St. CLare: http://sims3.thesimscatalog.com/sim...arge/st-claire/

(there's more OFC, these are just examples)

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Test Subject
Original Poster
#74 Old 22nd Oct 2018 at 7:22 PM
Hey people! I am sorry to have been quiet about this for 3 months... I feel so bad...

Believe it or not, I decided to keep going with the project. Although, NO MORE DISCORD STUFF! Nope. Sorry. If you wanna help, contact me here on the site of MTS or by replying here.

So here's what I planned. @Elaine, I did saw your recommendations and thanks, I've taken note of them.
> For those who wants a ready-to-play experience, I'm going to deliver the maps with CACHE files. This means that the cache won't have to be generated for the worlds.
> As a bulky download, I will deliver the world in two main ways : Torrent file AND .7z file.

The testing phase is actually close since I have to recreate the world. (Fault that I didn't made a backup). Also, mods that I will recommend for the worlds will be available to download separately as of URLs (to the mod's page). Actually, if you got any ideas for the project, feel free to submit them. I also planned to add custom WA worlds (Non-default overrides) with NEW adventures and places to discover. Yup, I'm going to assume you guys are gonna tell me Holly molly freakin'... Too MUCH !!! Yeah I know, but whatever, we're in 2018, not in 2009 anymore. ADDITIONALLY TO ALL THESE NEW FEATURES, I will provide a fix for The Sims 3 which will allow the game to use more memory for caching and higher CPU specs. (Actually the game uses 2GB of RAM.

As of right now, I am trying to get my mods to work fine with my laptop since I don't use as much my desktop. So bare with me please. Money doesn't grow on trees.

As of the fancy screenshots you saw, I actually managed to created an underground lot ON TOP OF A ROAD! And it works perfectly fine! So this means we can make undergrounds marketplaces (yup, feature here), and so many cool things.

For the help, I actually would like to have some people who are GOOD at making Sims, Lots (Residential, commercial). Also, I believe there is a time where we have to ditch the cool models in the game and make them decorated. I am talking about, for example, a police station. In the game by default, you can't get inside it. But if we take some mods and creativity, we can definitely manage to make the police station USEFUL, INTERACTIVE and CUSTOMIZABLE! (Sorry for those who have Ambitions, I just feel like it could be even better).

Now, time for questions.

Q> Will there be any kind of custom weather systems ?
A> This isn't planned yet but it can be added if players want it (majority wins)

Q> Will I be able to select between country and city as of for where I want my Sims to live ?
A> Totally, the idea behind this is simply two different maps. Why ? To not overload the game. Take for example how much laggy would the game be for a 16k map (4 times an actual WA map)... Yikes... Disgusting right ? I wanna avoid that.

Q> Will you add some kind of unique road systems ?
A> Probably, such as : Highways, Avenues, Market streets and such.

Q> How big (in disk space) shall I expect a map to be ?
A> As of a city map, probably around 1 gigabyte to 3 gigabytes (Yes, that's a ton!) As of the country maps, probably around 500 megabytes to 2 gigabytes.

Q> Can you provide the mods in a merged package file ?
A> I actually need to ask the mod creators for their permissions in order to do that, otherwise it would be like stealing someone's work!

Q> Can I donate to this project?
A> No, and simply because I don't use Paypal or such services online.

Q> Will you keep providing us with the screenies?
A> Of course! It's just a matter of time!

So ? What do you all think about this ? It's not because a game is old that it cannot handle a load of content, I believe they can but we need to find a way to make it fit nice and smoothly in the engine.
Mad Poster
#75 Old 23rd Oct 2018 at 12:52 AM
The testing phase is actually close since I have to recreate the world. (Fault that I didn't made a backup). Also, mods that I will recommend for the worlds will be available to download separately as of URLs (to the mod's page). Actually, if you got any ideas for the project, feel free to submit them. I also planned to add custom WA worlds (Non-default overrides) with NEW adventures and places to discover. Yup, I'm going to assume you guys are gonna tell me Holly molly freakin'... Too MUCH !!! Yeah I know, but whatever, we're in 2018, not in 2009 anymore. ADDITIONALLY TO ALL THESE NEW FEATURES, I will provide a fix for The Sims 3 which will allow the game to use more memory for caching and higher CPU specs. (Actually the game uses 2GB of RAM.

So ? What do you all think about this ? It's not because a game is old that it cannot handle a load of content, I believe they can but we need to find a way to make it fit nice and smoothly in the engine.

I'm sorry to have to point this out, but I fear you will lose your audience here just because of these things. Not sure what you are seeing exactly, but there hasn't been a 2 GB restriction on TS3 under Windows since Patch 1.17 came out in late 2010. The patch made the game Large Address Aware. It's now only the Mac version that faces such a limit.

But regardless of what year it is, the game is still a 32-bit application only. No one can make it use more than ~3.7 GB of RAM directly. Caching may be a different matter; RAM Disks can help in some ways but not with what the game engine actually has to carry. It's been tried several times to build a 64-bit scaffolding around it, but no one has succeeded in producing anything useful and even that wouldn't really extend what the game engine can do by design (it would only potentially stop the crashing and Error12s when over-extended). The game code is proprietary beyond that which mod developers can reach and apparently only EA can undertake a 64-bit rewrite for the entire game, but they are hardly likely to put in the resources on what they now consider a legacy product.

If you are still being serious with this project, I'm afraid it doesn't sound like your plans are very realistic.
Page 3 of 4