Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

Nysha's New Creators for July - posted on 1st Aug 2018 at 9:00 AM
Replies: 1 (Who?), Viewed: 208 times.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Aug 2018 at 8:01 PM
Default Responsible modding
What rules should a modder follow to mod responsibly? What do you think they should do, what they shouldn't, and why? I'm asking because I've seen here a discussion about things that Pescado and BO do wrong in their mods and documentations. I would love it if quite a short and accessible guide was eventually created.

It really bothers me when modders change the order of nodes (or delete them) in BHAV overrides. Imagine the following situation: a player saves a game while a BHAV function is executing. Then installs a mod that overrides that BHAV with a BHAV changing the order of the nodes. The player loads the game save and the function is going to execute… but now it isn't in the point it has stopped. It may not work as intended at the moment. You can't predict what the function will do now.
Almost all mods by Pescado, Cyjon or BO do contain sorted overrides of BHAVs. Many other modders do it as well. Is BHAV sorting as dangerous and irresponsible as I think?

I don't speak English well. | Tumblr
Advertisement
just a girl
#2 Old 12th Aug 2018 at 4:47 PM
I experienced buggy results of sorting myself, and I try to avoid doing that ever since. Well, except for test bhavs (guardians), because they are immediate and don't have any animations or idling to stop at. I guess, maybe people did not know about it in the past, and some still might not know about it now. I didn't know when I started modding. I actually thought that sorted BHAVs are a good practice - readable and tidy and all that. Now I know better.

You've raised a good question. I'll have to think about it. Some things that come to mind right now:

1. Custom objects are better have their own custom GUID as fallback GUID. This way when one deletes an object from downloads, it disappears from the lot instead of being replaced by whatever it was cloned from. In my experience, replacement may be inappropriate and may even cause errors on lot loading. Although, it depends on how different the objects are. If they are practically the same - same slots, same functions - then it might be ok to have maxis object as fallback.
2. As a modder, you should proceed from the fact that people will not read descriptions (hope for the best, but prepare for the worst). As much as possible, make sure users' game won't explode and the mod will work with some default settings, even if users didn't do anything but putting your file in downloads.
2.b. It's not the best practice to make users fiddle in SimPE before they can use you mod at all (unless you absolutely have to do it this way).
3. You shouldn't override more than you have to. For example, don't override the whole interaction BHAV, if you can override a small function inside it with the same result. Also, if you can achieve your goal without any overrides at all - by making custom object/controller - do that. This way you minimize possible mod conflicts and potential negative consequences of overriding global/semi-global stuff.

Some things may have more then one side to them. Like mega-mod vs. modular files that was mentioned in the thread you linked. It's more of a preference thing, imho. Some downloaders find it easier when there is one bundle-file, others value flexibility and options.

As for documentation. I can see why people complain about not very detailed descriptions. But I also understand modders. Describing a mod may be such a pain! It is sometimes faster and easier to make the thing than to explain it in great detail. A lot of what I personally do doesn't get published because I hate descriptions so much =) But still, yeah, documentation is good, we all should strive to making it full and clear.

I may think of something else later.