Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#26 Old 10th Sep 2018 at 6:52 PM
I can't help you that, unfortunately. When I was still playing on disk, the 4GB patch didn't want to apply, even after I followed the advice given @The Jessa Channel (cutting and pasting to the CSBin folder). When I installed the UC, the 4GB patch applied correctly the first time, though.

@M.M.A.A I hope you got everything working!

Nice Rachel we're having.
My C:Simblr!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#27 Old 10th Sep 2018 at 6:52 PM
Still not working.

The game isn't running into problems yet though, so is there any reason why I shouldn't move forward with installing other critical mods and patches (or does the 4GB Patch re-write too much of the game for that)?

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Instructor
#28 Old 10th Sep 2018 at 6:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
Still not working.

The game isn't running into problems yet though, so is there any reason why I shouldn't move forward with installing other critical mods and patches (or does the 4GB Patch re-write too much of the game for that)?

As far I as know, the 4GB patch has no effect whatsoever on mods, you can go ahead and install them.

Nice Rachel we're having.
My C:Simblr!
Mad Poster
#29 Old 10th Sep 2018 at 6:55 PM
Is the game installed in Program Files? Windows really doesn't like you changing any files in there, which is why I install everything under C:\Games\ instead.

The 4GB patcher allows the game to access more memory. So you'll run into more crashes if you have a lot of mods as it'll run out more quickly.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#30 Old 10th Sep 2018 at 7:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
Is the game installed in Program Files? Windows really doesn't like you changing any files in there, which is why I install everything under C:\Games\ instead.

Yes, it is... is there any way of changing that short of a completely new install?

Mad Poster
#31 Old 10th Sep 2018 at 8:03 PM
You could copy the game folder to the new location and then create a symbolic link in the old location. Dirlinker is easy to use.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#32 Old 10th Sep 2018 at 8:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Yvelotic2001
@M.M.A.A I hope you got everything working!

Eh... Everything's still the same. The game still gets hiccups (pink flashing), here and there... At least it works.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#33 Old 12th Sep 2018 at 2:24 AM Last edited by Zarathustra : 12th Sep 2018 at 2:35 AM.
Since Dirlinker seems to be set up only through Windows 7, I don't think that'll work (I'm dealing with Windows 10)... I tried following a tutorial to allow my account to change files in the Program Files directory, and still no luck... any other thoughts?

ETA: Reinstalling just M&G wouldn't be too much of a pain... if I were just to install THAT under a new folder, would that solve the problem? Or would it create a whole set of new ones?

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#34 Old 12th Sep 2018 at 3:17 AM
@Zarathustra since this is really you asking for help rather than game play chat I am moving it to help.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
#35 Old 12th Sep 2018 at 4:40 AM
I also recently installed on a new Windows 10 machine. I didn't have issues with the 4GB patch, though, and my game is installed in Program Files. This may be a silly question, but did you run the game after installing the patch? I believe the config file only updates after you run the game, so if you haven't run it since patching, it may just not be showing up yet.

As for the GRM, I did it manually, and it took a few tries for me to get it correct. I also had to copy the GraphicsRules.sgr file to the desktop to edit it, then copy it back to the install location because I apparently wasn't allowed to edit and save it while it was in Program Files. I can't find the tutorial I used right now, but if you need it I can keep searching.

To get my resolution to 1920x1080, I followed this tutorial from SimsVIP: https://simsvip.com/2014/07/20/the-...solution-guide/. It's for the UC, but it's the same process for disks.

My texture memory was still stuck at 32MB after all that, so I followed the info here to deal with it, if you're having that problem: http://simlili.tumblr.com/post/146373494212.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#36 Old 12th Sep 2018 at 4:56 AM Last edited by Zarathustra : 12th Sep 2018 at 5:08 AM.
@schwimmbad17 Yeah, I did eventually get the GRM to behave itself- thanks anyways for that! (hopefully it stays fixed, since I'm pretty sure I've already forgotten what I did... building things in the game, I'm good at- doing anything with code? not so much...)

As far as the 4GB patch, yeah, I've tried running the game after each attempt (though I've certainly made that mistake before!)... my latest thought is, does the .config file itself actually change when the program changes?

Test Subject
#37 Old 12th Sep 2018 at 6:01 AM
Glad to hear it

Honestly, I don't know how the config file works I just always ran the game to test whatever changes I had made.

In regards to the 4GB patch, I copied my old .exe from my old computer to my new one, and it came already equipped with the CFF Explorer 2GB thing (which I had done before I knew about the 4GB patch). If you applied the 4GB patch to your old .exe, perhaps it would copy over as well? I'm not really sure how it works, but it may be worth a try if you have access to the old .exe.

Another thing I haven't seen mentioned is removing securom, since apparently it doesn't play well with Windows 10. Instructions are here: http://leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=6688 (I didn't bother with the registry cleaner though... I don't feel tech-y enough to attempt it)

I found this thread very useful when I was installing; it has a lot of useful info and reminders for new installs: http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...l#startcomments.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#38 Old 12th Sep 2018 at 6:16 AM
Yes the config-log.txt in the Logs folder changes, you will see both memory and free memory changes numbers once the 4 Gb patch is on. I would suggest looking through the stickies, especially the 'How to stop sims 2 crashing' thread.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#39 Old 12th Sep 2018 at 7:07 AM
Huzzah! The walkthrough video didn't work :'( but the other most common solution on that thread (downloading the .rar from leefish and patching that and using it to open the game) seems to have worked! I'm seeing 4096GB in the config-log now, at least, and it's opening my neighborhood correctly...

This feels like a lot of work to forestall a problem that I'm not having yet... I just have to keep reminding myself of that old adage "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure..."

Now on to the next thing... whatever that is.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#40 Old 12th Sep 2018 at 8:46 AM
Yah! Oh, you will want that 4gb patch. I was hoping I wouldn't since I stayed on win 7-yep I needed it.

Graphic rules and stand by memory? First deff, second, maybe.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#41 Old 13th Sep 2018 at 2:15 AM
It seems like there are quite a few mods in the Essential Mods thread that would be redundant, which just seems like asking for trouble... is there anywhere that I can find a list of which ones to actually go for?

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#42 Old 13th Sep 2018 at 2:46 AM
You only really need
no corrupt death
no unlink on delete
Creature fixes (if you play vampires and Mrs C isn't banned)
the apartment death mod (whose name escapes me) if you play apartments.
No sim loaded with smarter EP check (prevents the Super hug and cleans up useless tokens)
The bat Box or similar mod to fix things
Stuck object remover
Sim blender or similar (not essential to corruption but really, handy)

Mods that stop NPC spawning (may be essential to you or not)
After that are mods to stop annoying behaviour.
then mods to add game play

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#43 Old 13th Sep 2018 at 3:21 AM
@joandsarah77 , do you mean the "Select your cemetery" mod?

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=316426

And yeah, I know of a few non-essential but useful fixes and gameplay mods, but since one of those mods is where I got the SDHB on my old machine, I want to be DAMN sure I have everything in place to make sure I don't re-invite that (or other) problems with new mods (or my old files, when I eventually transfer them over).

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#44 Old 13th Sep 2018 at 3:40 AM
Yes, that is the mod I meant. Not sure if it's essential or not.

If you have no sim loaded +smarter EP check you won't get the SDHB. As far as what we know about it, you can install infected lots and install and yank mods without creating it. It's only Maxis code, really annoying Maxis code, but it doesn't corrupt anything.

If you are planning on any empty type neighbourhood the spawning mods are essential.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#45 Old 13th Sep 2018 at 4:11 AM
OK, this is as much a test post as anything, since @joandsarah77 , I can see that you posted a response as the last post on the thread from the forum, I can see the beginning of it from your profile as your last post, but I can't actually see the post itself- all I see is MY last post in this thread. Might be a glitch with the site?

ETA: As I kind of suspected, as soon as I posted this post, I can now see your post too... weird.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#46 Old 13th Sep 2018 at 7:21 AM
Sorry, maybe I was on db, the staff form.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#47 Old 17th Sep 2018 at 12:16 AM
Seems to me the easiest way to get all my old files moved to my new desktop would be just to copy the entire folder over from my backup. My only hesitation is that taking such a dramatic approach might end up overwriting the fixes that I've been installing to prevent the problems I had on my old rig from transferring over with everything (i.e., the SDHB from my old machine might end up coming over if I accidentally overwrite the pre-installed No Sim Loaded fix on my new machine). So at this point, what aspects of an old TS2 folder can just be copied over wholesale, and which ones will I need to be cautious about?

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#48 Old 19th Sep 2018 at 7:36 AM
Bump. That last question is one I feel like I have to find an answer to before I can move further.

Undead Molten Llama
#49 Old 19th Sep 2018 at 1:04 PM
I don't think there's anything you really need to be "cautious" about. If you're worried about the "Hug" (There's really no reason to be), the only thing that might (but might not) "transmit" that to a new game would be if you have "infected" lots in the Lot Catalog. So, maybe don't move that, if you know you had the Hug. (Although frankly? I'm pretty sure that most people have or will get the Hug at some point, if they ever download lots. There is no "vaccine," cure, OR prophylactic for it. No Sim Loaded, et.al., does NOT prevent you from getting the Hug if you don't already have it! . All you can do is suppress it if you have/get it, and once the code is suppressed it will never affect anyone's game in any way whatsoever. So, get/keep No Sim Loaded or any other suppression mod, strongly advise other people to do so when you upload a lot whether or not YOU have the Hug, and stop worrying about it.) If you're worried about losing stuff or stuff not working, then just keep a copy of the folder as it is now somewhere, so if something gets messed up or lost when you didn't intend to lose something, you can restore it.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#50 Old 20th Sep 2018 at 2:03 AM
@iCad and @joandsarah77 , since the two of you were part of this thread, has there been any other discovery made since then? Frankly, abandoning all my in-progress projects is a non-starter for me, and it seems like this is an easy enough problem to cover up (if impossible to fix) that just including a reminder to players that they should download NSL if they're ever downloading lots from anyone is worthwhile. (might even be worth including in the installation instructions for lots)

Page 2 of 4