Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 5th Dec 2018 at 12:55 PM
Out of my idea most of the time.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 5th Dec 2018 at 5:22 PM
Castle Rock, named after the fictional town where a loooot of Stephen King's stories take place.

The downtown area is named Coal City after a city in my home state, and I consider it to be separate from Castle Rock. I renamed the three universities the University of Derry (named after the town of Derry, which I took from Stephen King's book IT), King College (in case you couldn't tell, I love Stephen King, hah), and Boulder University (Boulder because Castle - Rock -).
Test Subject
#28 Old 5th Dec 2018 at 5:25 PM
Plain Valley - I actually got this name while creating my first custom neighbourhood after months of not playing. While creating my hood, I made a roadway in a middle of two-hills, which where the 'Valley' came from, whilst at it, I thought to myself "Why does my neighbourhood look so plain", and that's where 'Plain' came from. Hence, 'Plain Valley'. Actually, like how @doyouevenmakeasound said, originally Plain Valley is actually a place-holder name, but as I indulged myself creating community lots, apartments and families, I grew keen with the name, "Plain Valley" and engraved it to the hood.

Palmwood - Palmwood is a downtown extension to Plain Valley, because when I made something custom, I-will-make-everything-custom (except for vacation hoods though, too much work lol). Originally, Palmwood was formerly known as 'Plainwood' as to show that both neighbourhoods are somewhat connected, but I scratched the idea because I thought that doing so make my new downtown so 'plain' (ironically), so as I surfed the web, I stumble upon a "how do you react to your Sims' death" forum which one of the replier said that when their Sims die, they usually named a lot (or a street) after the deceased Sims. This is where my Idea came from, I renamed Plainwood to Palmwood, after Palmwood's founder's family, the Palms. (to be certain, Palms are only mentioned to be the founder, there's no grave of any of their people, but some members are mentioned through description in community lots).

Sorry, it have been two weeks since I made anything relatively this long, and it's literally 1.30 a.m. in the morning where I am from, so any grammatical mistakes I made, or if my sentence is not understandable, I apologise for that.
Forum Resident
#29 Old 5th Dec 2018 at 7:12 PM
The terrain is Three Lakes, so I was looking for another name and decided Lakeview Hills. Because there are hills. And you can view lakes.

Naming places is not my strong suit. In most of my hoods and subhoods, I create a neighborhood and then all the community lots use that name. Like Bluewater Village has a big park, so the area around that is Bluewater Park, and the community lots are Bluewater Park Bistro, Bluewater Park Groceries, etc.
Alchemist
#30 Old 5th Dec 2018 at 10:29 PM
some names I given to past neighborhoods::
Reunion; consisted of copies of pre-made playable characters.
Open House; consisted of copies of pre-made unoccupied lots.
Death Raising; main lot was a graveyard and had plans for other households to adopt Child & Toddler orphans.
Inventor
#31 Old 5th Dec 2018 at 11:50 PM
I've forgotten most of the names I came up with for custom hoods. There was a Lakeview or a Lakebridge, due to the terrain involving a large lake crossed by bridges. Uhhh... one recent one was Dieland, which was mostly just a messing around hood and I half expected sims to die a lot. My attempt at an Uberhood was called Convergence, as in the convergence of all the premade hoods and families in the game. Currently, I have a hood where the main sims are based on RP characters, so it has the name of the town they inhabited in the RP. The other is simply called SimCity, since that is the town name often used in descriptions throughout the game. I might change it later, I just wasn't inspired at the time I made the hood.
Instructor
#32 Old 6th Dec 2018 at 2:27 AM
Otterville

Guess where I got it?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#33 Old 6th Dec 2018 at 2:33 AM
From a ferret?

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Instructor
#34 Old 6th Dec 2018 at 5:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by quycksylver
I'm sloooowly working on a Western / Prairie hood called Molly-be-damn. I got the name from an old movie that I don't remember much about other than it starred John Astin (I think he played a dual role). The town name was actually Molybdenum...but no one could pronounce it, so they all called it Molly-be-damn--except for the kids, who called it Molly-be-durn.

This is hilarious! I love it! I forgot to mention in my previous post that my Western hood is named "Hellbent"; gives a bit of the flavour of the town and the sim stories within it!

Find all of my Challenges in MTS Sims 2 Challenges "Ye Olde" Section:
Vllygrl's By George! Regency Play Style/Challenge; Regency/Victorian ROS;
The Medieval Charter Challenge & ROS for MCC;
The Crown of Laurels Challenge; & Besieged! New Medieval Challenge & Medieval ROS.
Alchemist
#35 Old 6th Dec 2018 at 4:51 PM
Most of them are from EA. Gramarye is another word for magic, and that's the name of the subhood I'm setting up that's inspired by Magic Town from TS1.
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 19th Jan 2019 at 11:48 PM
I've named my current main hood Wuthering Heights. Quite easy to see where the name comes from, the book by Emily Bronte, of course. But also the song by Kate Bush, which, admittedly, is what made me read the book in the first place.
Mad Poster
#37 Old 20th Jan 2019 at 8:21 AM Last edited by HarVee : 20th Jan 2019 at 8:53 AM.
The newest subhoods added to my sprawling megahood are:

Willowbrooke Hollow - Named after founder Grurn Willowbrooke. Shrouded in willow trees. It's a very hollow place to live.

Manny Faults - My first attempt at creating a rocky terrain type. Replaced the conrete terrain texture with a rocky one. Named after founder Manny Fault, and for the fault lines in the landscape.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Field Researcher
#38 Old 26th Jan 2019 at 9:51 AM
It honestly depends on what kind of vibe I want the hood to have. I also super duper love The Elder Scrolls so sometimes town names and community spaces are inspired by it. Sirenfell just sounded nice and had a cool fantasy vibe to it. Exhaustion Valley was supposed to be a placeholder until I figured something out, but I named it when I booted my game late at night and by the time it was loaded, I was really tired. Milber has the most interesting name history for me personally, because it came from a friend in high school when I played his copy of Animal Crossing. His town was named Milber and he thought that it sounded like a real town, so I took that idea to heart, but every time I named an Animal Crossing town Milber, it reminded me of that friend, and has become the default when naming a town, hence naming a hood that.

Kynesgrove in Skyrim is a small village, but in my sims game, it's a park centered around a couple huge tress, that was originally in Sirenfell, but I use it in just about every hood I make these days with variation in color scheme and decoration because it's a really nice park that feels natural to have in a bustling small town.

I like just pulling something out of thin air and sticking with it I suppose lmao

My simblr
In the name of the Moon, i will right wrongs and triumph over evil, and that means YOU! ❤️
Scholar
#39 Old 27th Jan 2019 at 12:44 AM
SimHampton got named because the Sims 1 initial neighbourhood looked quite upper-class to me, so I wanted something that sounded vaguely posh. I also wanted something generic enough that it wouldn't feel like a skint household that set its house on fire every 3 Sim days was necessarily out of place. It also occurred to me that someone had named a real city Southampton, and if the "South" got substituted by "Sim", that would probably sound good too.
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 27th Jan 2019 at 2:24 PM
Scotts Creek, a desert neighborhood. Based it off real life Arizona town names.
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 28th Jan 2019 at 3:46 AM
Originally the founders of my hood were named after greek gods, so the subhoods were given greek naming themes: "Olympus,Thermopylae, Atlantis, Erebus"... Except hints of the founders are now near gone, the names no longer feel fitting to me, and I've never been able to spell Thermopylae after the first google attempt, so I've been trying to come up with name changes for them.

Olympus, which is a farming subhood, formally changed its the name to "Hidden Valley". This one happened because I mentioned my town had a valley my husband thought it would be hilarious to have a ranch lot in the town called "Hidden Valley Ranch".

Erebus, my victorian subhood, changed its name to Polyworth. That one came from a name generator for steampunk/victorian city names and I liked it.

Atlantis and Thermopylae are still in progress... Thermopylae is a desert subhood hosting my army and Atlantis is a coastal glamour/high fashion themed subhood. Lots of health clubs, spas, fashion themed venues...
Field Researcher
#42 Old 28th Jan 2019 at 12:36 PM
My tribal/prehistoric game is going to be 12 years old this April, and has gone through several name changes. So brace yourselves for rambling.

When I first started it up, it was a legacy hood, and it was called Tanwa Nuidya. I've been developing a language (Maltiatzi) for this world since I came up with the idea for it, so it's not just nonsense words - Tanwa means "home" in Maltiatzi; Nuidya was the name of the legacy family, and it means "the free people". That version of the hood lasted a year or so, until I lost it to glitches. By then, Castaway Stories had come out, and I moved all my Sims from Tanwa Nuidya into its free play hood, Wanmami Island, deciding that the natives were the tribe that raised Sena, my legacy founder. Then I lost that game to glitches.

So I rebuilt again, in TS2 proper, and I decided there had been a plague that killed some of my Sims because the old hood was a bit overpopulated. The survivors of both tribes, who were close to war berfore the plague, teamed up as one tribe, the Sholaran - so the new hood was Tanwa Sholaran for a while before it crashed. I decided there had been a storm that destroyed the temporary settlement, more Sims died off-screen, and since most of the survivors were of Nuidya origin, they went back to that name for their group. The new hood was temporarily named Third Time Lucky, since it was my third attempt at rebuilding, then became Orakandli, which means "game of chance" or "gamble" in Maltiatzi because my game was so buggy at the time that each rebuild was just that. There were a lot of rebuilds during that period - again, I blamed them on storms for story purposes. My Sims were pretty much nomads at that point.

Then my founder's great-granddaughter, also called Sena, took over as leader of the survivors. She was usually known as Sena Seeri (literally "Sena 2") or just Seeri, and she decided, as soon as I had a stable mod selection, that they should try to settle somewhere permanently. I wanted a more auspicious name for that settlement, but couldn't think of one, so while I was building it I just called it "Seeri's village" - in Maltiatzi, that's Kulo Seeri. Well, the name stuck. To this day, after four more in-game generations and many more rebuilds, it's still Kulo Seeri. (Which is pretty much the only monument to Seeri herself in my game - her reign wasn't that memorable.) And that is how my hood got its name.

Still reading? It's OK, I'm done rambling now.

simblr
Home of my Kulo Seeri Test of Time and a lot of worldbuilder rambling. You have been warned.
Mad Poster
#43 Old 30th Jan 2019 at 4:13 PM
Thanks nuidyaforever! You've explained not only your neighbourhood name, but also you user name here, which has puzzled me ever since I first saw it.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Forum Resident
#44 Old 30th Jan 2019 at 4:29 PM
Current one is called Graabton, which I'm not too keen on. It comes from the Landgraab surname, as my intention was that Malcom Landgraab the First founded it.

Ughhh. Anyone have better ideas? :/

You can call me Diddy (or Eve, if you want to go by my real name) :)
My Simblr is simping-simmer. Come and join me there for a chat!
You can also find me on the MTS or PBK Discord servers under the name 'Evenfall'.
Want to know the latest news in Carregffynon? Click here!
Test Subject
#45 Old 30th Jan 2019 at 5:18 PM
My main hood is called Hidden Hills because I'd read that I want to say the Kardashians???? live there and the name just sounded cool. I mainly play Downtown so I didn't think too much about the name of the main neighbourhood since it mostly just exists so there's something for Downtown to attach to. My downtown is called Lower East Side and is inspired by the Lower East Side in NYC, with streets and avenues named after the ones in the real LES.
Mad Poster
#46 Old 30th Jan 2019 at 5:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by didyouevenmakeasound
Current one is called Graabton, which I'm not too keen on. It comes from the Landgraab surname, as my intention was that Malcom Landgraab the First founded it.

Ughhh. Anyone have better ideas? :/
"-ton" is, I think, a typically English place-name ending, but the double "a" in Landgraab suggests to me an origin in Dutch or some related Low Teutonic language. So how about "Graabtland" or "Graabdtland" as a name for the Land that Landgraab grabbed? If there are any speakers of Dutch, Flemish, Friesian, Plattdeutsch or Afrikaans around the forum, they may suggest improvements in my suggested spelling. (Apologies for my lack of knowledge of your languages.)

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Forum Resident
#47 Old 30th Jan 2019 at 9:12 PM
I have few neighborhoods, first there's "Doom" this is where I place all the downloaded houses to tear them down, (= remove the items I don't want, rebuild the parts I don't like and redecorate them to my liking) so it's basically just a building limbo so the houses are doomed there for eternity. Then there's "Screenshottage Village" you'll never guess what happens there ;D (Yeah it's where all my model Sims live and where I take screenshots) And lastly there's "plsbeflat" which was supposed to become a playable neighborhood and get a good name eventually. Name was because I tried multiple terrains and all were too uneven for my needs. But after year it's still called plsbeflat without a single playable sim and barely any houses so I guess that's how it'll remain even if I ever get around placing any Sims there.
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 30th Jan 2019 at 9:39 PM
Current city I am designing is either Deerhorn Island or Deerhorn Valley (can't remember right now). It just popped into my head. I knew I wanted a small map set in year-round winter, so I guess I got lucky with the theme.
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 31st Jan 2019 at 4:23 AM
My old BaCC neighborhood/town (which I don't play anymore due to corruption) was named Circadian Springs. The "Circadian" part I took from Circadian Eyes, the Ambient music project by Bryan Collins, and the "Springs" just because it sounded cool. Later I retconned the meaning of the town's name was because of a legend that says the hot springs in the outskirts appeared in a single day after the first settlers came.

My most recent neighborhood/town was named Wolfsbane, after the poisonous plant. The reason for this was that it initially was planned as a supernatural focused town, but I scrapped this idea later. My inspiration for the name was Belladona Cove, as Belladona is also a poisonous herb and that neighborhood has a theme of witchcraft in it.
Test Subject
#50 Old 20th Feb 2019 at 2:35 PM
Trinity Valley is my current hood for my prosperity Challenge, I started with 3 familes. Usually I just use widespot as my main hood (im a sucker for aliens) and I don't usually change that.
Page 2 of 3