Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Dec 2018 at 1:56 AM
Default Big problem with stairs!!
So, I was building this nice big home for my sim family, all was going well, but then I tried to add some stairs to the diagonal porch that I made. They won't rotate!! Everything else can be made diagonal, so why not stairs goddamnit does anyone know of any mod or anything I can do to fix this? I don't want to give up on my pretty house...
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 26th Dec 2018 at 3:46 AM
I can't understand this need for building things in diagonals? I mean the loss of space and routing troubles only. Nah, turn your house around
Scholar
#3 Old 26th Dec 2018 at 9:39 AM
OP, I don't know of such a mod, but the way I see it you have 2 options
1. add a straight portion (none-diagonal) to the porch and connect your stairs to it
2. use an elevator with LittleMsSam's mod for Elevators everywhere (requires CTL+ JA), you can put those diagonally, I believe

Volvenom, I've never encountered routing issues with diagonal builds, only shadowing issues with counters and half walls
and loss of space? are you trying to fill up every tile of the lot for some reason? I don't think that many people do, and no one is have to do so..
people are allowed to be creative and build whatever they want and find attractive, within the limits of the game (like straight stairs, ahh)
also, you can't rotate a build in a less than 90 degrees angle, so they would have to rebuild this part according to your suggestion..
dodgy builder
#4 Old 26th Dec 2018 at 11:19 AM
WOW, someone got really defensive. I didn't mean it that seriously, as the smiley indicates, so why be offended?
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#5 Old 26th Dec 2018 at 12:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
WOW, someone got really defensive. I didn't mean it that seriously, as the smiley indicates, so why be offended?

Its xmas and everyone has been cooped up with the 50% of family members they don't get on with. I am surprised anyone is in their normal temper at this time of year

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
dodgy builder
#6 Old 26th Dec 2018 at 5:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Its xmas and everyone has been cooped up with the 50% of family members they don't get on with. I am surprised anyone is in their normal temper at this time of year

Oh yes, that's true
Mad Poster
#7 Old 26th Dec 2018 at 9:40 PM
Requesting diagonal stairs in a reasonable request. It makes sense. I’ve wanted diagonal stairs for well over a decade, in all iterations of the Sims. The closest we got was turning spiral stairs at an angle in TS3.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Mad Poster
#8 Old 26th Dec 2018 at 10:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom

Lol, I actually thought it indicate the opposite. I didn't rated your comment, but maybe the laughing ones ( ) would been a better fit. Don't even know why, but for me personally they give me out a sadistic vibe *shrudders* lol

To be frank, don't beat yourself. Sometimes it's hard to pick up sarcasm from text without the tone.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
dodgy builder
#9 Old 26th Dec 2018 at 11:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Lol, I actually thought it indicate the opposite. I didn't rated your comment, but maybe the laughing ones ( ) would been a better fit. Don't even know why, but for me personally they give me out a sadistic vibe *shrudders* lol

To be frank, don't beat yourself. Sometimes it's hard to pick up sarcasm from text without the tone.

It wasn't sarcasme either. I just put the smiley on to fend off anyone taking it wrongly. It was just a genuin question, why would you be interested in having a diagonal staircase in this game. It may just be me with my 3D Graphics education, thinking it's too many obsticles with diagonalism's in this game, but others might disagree. The smiley was just to make it look less like an attack on the OP's question.

It's part of the problem with this written communication, the deeper meaning might be hard to communicate.

Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
Requesting diagonal stairs in a reasonable request. It makes sense. I’ve wanted diagonal stairs for well over a decade, in all iterations of the Sims. The closest we got was turning spiral stairs at an angle in TS3.

Yes, that might be. I just can't be bothered. It seems to me you have to add 1 tile on each side of a hallway to make sure they don't get stuck anywhere. I have noticed though that the collision sometimes seems to be close to non-existant in the game these days. It doesn't bother me though. Collision objects are bothersome.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 27th Dec 2018 at 2:14 AM
Disagree might not necessary mean "I hate you/your comment". Perhaps for them it doesn't cause routing. Maybe " Nah..." remark wasn't helpful. Either way, diagonal gives a nice touch and something new/different... I guess. In practice gameplay, I wouldn't be surprise If it's not practical or working out with how Sims route through.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
dodgy builder
#11 Old 27th Dec 2018 at 2:27 AM
Nah? I don't know, I'm not native English speaker. For me "nah" was just a shrugging shoulders and walk out of the disussion. It might mean something else for others.
Smeg Head
#12 Old 27th Dec 2018 at 9:08 AM
Stairs are so overrated, so last millennia. Do away with them completely and go for the newfangled teleport pad system. All the wisest sims do...

But on a more serious note, I too have noticed some unfavourable effects with the oldfangled stairs. Maxis said in their recent patch notes they did some work of the stair's graphics and light misbehaving. And what do you know, in some places where I place stairs in a new build, the top half of the flight are invisible. Due to some flooring conflict, I imagine. (As the faffing around in build before and after seems to indicate.) Maxis fixes, eh? Championship stuff. Don't know why I let it bother me, though. What with teleport pads and no need of stairs ever again. Yet a home without stairs is just... just... Maxis patch fixes, eh?

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
dodgy builder
#13 Old 28th Dec 2018 at 10:28 AM
We got terrain tools and proper staircases for mansions, so why bother with a measly diagonal staircase?

I would like proper round rooms more. It should be possible if you're not too preoccupied with sims routing.