Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 13th Jan 2019 at 9:15 PM
You're just hanging out in the wrong part of the fandom. I've gone to great lengths to eliminate the middle school atmosphere in my life, and been largely successful.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Advertisement
Instructor
#27 Old 13th Jan 2019 at 9:48 PM
I'm not sure what y'all mean by fandom. Do you mean the Sims fandom as a whole or just the Sims 2 fandom? The latter, at least to me is the most mature as they are older. The lesser... well, they are young and can't really help their immature. Anyway, it's seems that no one really knows who or what SimGM is. Maybe they could create content that would relate to older sims fans. Maybe then, they could be deemed, 'popular'.

There's no drama, like Sims drama.

Currently Playing: Sims 2 again!

Field Researcher
#28 Old 13th Jan 2019 at 10:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by monijt1
I'm not sure what y'all mean by fandom. Do you mean the Sims fandom as a whole or just the Sims 2 fandom? The latter, at least to me is the most mature as they are older. The lesser... well, they are young and can't really help their immature. Anyway, it's seems that no one really knows who or what SimGM is. Maybe they could create content that would relate to older sims fans. Maybe then, they could be deemed, 'popular'.

Age =/= maturity, in my opinion at least some of the most immature seem to have the most years on the rest of us . I feel like people blame the drama on younger members of the community which isn't always true. I mean, in other fan communities I am/was a part of the people starting drama are...not who you'd expect. Mainly because teens don't have enough money to be buying all the content, especially on the Sims 4 side of things.

But I do agree we are less uh unhinged than the rest of the Sims scene (and that SimGM is ?). Probably because the games aren't coming out anymore, we aren't as involved in the EA drama and the TS3 simblr is just mad, but in a few years time they'll mellow out I think or just get bored and move onto a new community to stir up drama in. Or maybe they'll be in retirement homes, still fighting about who stole what from who. I don't know man.

I feel like I'm derailing. Ok I'm going to stop now I think I've made my point.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#29 Old 14th Jan 2019 at 1:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Yes, I know- what I am trying to say is that the mods on Simgm Productions site are from this site and many others that are still active.

Right, so are they saying they made all of that or are simply saving files? Because all of those files are by a variety of creators.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#30 Old 14th Jan 2019 at 2:36 AM
Yes, I know- what I am trying to say is that the mods on Simgm Productions site are from this site and many others that are still active. Look:
https://www.simgmproductions.com/game-mods

If I download that, there are 77 folders in the archive:

You can see the anyonefightburglars, which can be downloaded here:
http://modthesims.info/d/448903/any...t-burglars.html
Also there is the MATY directors cut, some from Crisps&Kerosene... the list goes on, these mods are all still available at the original websites. So instead of having people download the mods from that site, Simgm should just give a link to the original downloads. That way, if the creator wants to update the file players will get the latest version. The only reason to offer the files for download themselves is if the mods are no longer available for download on the original site.

The way that Simgm is presenting this, it looks as though they are taking credit and ownership of the mods. Of course it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, it's just something that would be nicer.

What the fuck, my whole TOU is pretty much "Don't reupload my files anywhere" and they still included my sliders in that file too? How lovely. But hey at least they included a link to the original post in the file so that nobody will see it before downloading so that totally makes it okay right? Guess I'll write them a message asking them to remove those and see if that helps anything.
Mad Poster
#31 Old 14th Jan 2019 at 3:02 AM
What if they refuse to? SFS's TOS is rather vague:

Quote:
You agree not to upload anything illegal, or anything which violates copyright. We do not consider custom content for the Sims games to be in violation of EA's copyright, as they have never enforced their rights over custom content in the 15 year history of the Sims series.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Forum Resident
#32 Old 14th Jan 2019 at 3:26 AM
Well if they refuse or completely ignore me then there's obviously not much I can do, but it's worth trying anyway right? Will have to do that tomorrow though since I'm tired and right now all I could produce is pretty much "grr me no like when you include my file >("
Mad Poster
#33 Old 14th Jan 2019 at 5:54 AM
Perhaps SimGM does not realise that they are doing anything wrong - it may be a good thing to explain that to them that there is legally wrong and there is morally wrong.
Mad Poster
#34 Old 14th Jan 2019 at 6:50 AM
It would benefit them as well - they must be hosting several gigabytes of stuff there. Surely all that storage and bandwidth must cost something?
Mad Poster
#35 Old 14th Jan 2019 at 9:33 AM
No, they're hosting the actual files on SFS, which is free. Even if they did host on-site, they're paying a flat hosting fee. It's not like Amazon S3, where you get charged per gigabyte.

The website itself is hosted by Wix (ewww, no wonder its a dumpster fire), though the pricing–there is a free plan, but you can't use a custom domain with that–varies from $5 to $29 a month.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#36 Old 14th Jan 2019 at 2:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Right, so are they saying they made all of that or are simply saving files? Because all of those files are by a variety of creators.

See post #17 where I screenshotted the download link:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...561#post5487561
Described as 'SimGM Mods Pack'.
Instructor
#37 Old 14th Jan 2019 at 2:56 PM
@foxmanic you should report the download file to Sim File Share, https://simfileshare.net/support/contact/. State that the file is violating your TOU (and its own) as it contains your sliders without permission. Sim File Share will then hopefully remove the file from its server.

There's no drama, like Sims drama.

Currently Playing: Sims 2 again!

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#38 Old 14th Jan 2019 at 10:39 PM
See post #17 where I screenshotted the download link:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...561#post5487561
Described as 'SimGM Mods Pack'.

Ugh.

@mousedroidz21 we are more likely to run the guy out of town with zombies and flaming torches then make him 'popular'

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#39 Old 14th Jan 2019 at 11:42 PM
Hey there OP - I'm a product marketer irl. It's not something you'll learn very much of until you actually have a marketing job - and that's not a dig at uni or anything, but marketing is one of those courses that really can't teach 90% of the things you actually do - mainly because a lot of it depends on the company / product / target audience / scope etc. etc.

It's great that you have an interest though, and if you have any broad questions about the marketing field, feel free to reach out! Just bear in mind: marketing =/= advertising. There's overlap - for example if you're selling ads for a cable channel, but marketing and advertising are not the same thing, and have less to do with each other than people tend to think. It's a bugbear of mine because when I tell people I'm a marketer they're like "OH YOU MAKE ADS? I HATE ADS." And I'm like, no. No I don't make ads. Those are advertisers who make ads. Marketing will probably know about said ads, and will have given input, but the actual creation of the ad isn't... <deep sigh as everyone falls asleep>
Forum Resident
#40 Old 14th Jan 2019 at 11:45 PM Last edited by foxmanic : 15th Jan 2019 at 2:01 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by monijt1
@foxmanic you should report the download file to Sim File Share, https://simfileshare.net/support/contact/. State that the file is violating your TOU (and its own) as it contains your sliders without permission. Sim File Share will then hopefully remove the file from its server.

That's good to know really. Guess I'll do that if they don't respond to my mail within a week or so, I literally just sent it so I'll give it some time before I take further steps, maybe they'll listen me, maybe they don't. I tried being as polite as possible and explained why generally speaking sharing mods bundled like that is bad but we'll see if that has any effect or not. I'm not exactly holding my breath but sometimes people surprise me pleasantly.

Edit: they replied and deleted the whole file. And just in case they end up seeing this thread, thanks again for the quick response <3
Helptato
#41 Old 15th Jan 2019 at 1:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
You're just hanging out in the wrong part of the fandom. I've gone to great lengths to eliminate the middle school atmosphere in my life, and been largely successful.

It's another reason why I mostly stick to TS2

Emma!

Simblr
[url=https://peanutbuttersandwich.dreamwidth.org/Dreamwidth[/url]
Mad Poster
#42 Old 15th Jan 2019 at 5:46 AM
I am happy to hear that SimGM has responded by deleting the file - let us give them the benefit of the doubt - it could have been a very honest mistake and we are always fond of Sims 2 simmers
Page 2 of 2