Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 13th Feb 2019 at 8:51 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 13th Feb 2019 at 9:04 PM.
Easiest way to figure out is to open them in SimPE. You'll usualy easily spot the mail/trash files by the texture or mesh names.

Clothes usually get proper names, though I have seen renamed files occasionally. Mostly makeup, though.

Your computer seems to have a high RAM usage, though I have seen a similar tendency in my game (I have 8 GB on my laptop, and it does get up to 5-7 GB when running TS2). I usually make sure to shut down other programs that use a lot of memory, and may also use the "Memory Improve Master" to reduce the memory use of the programs I can't shut down. I see you've got Paint running in some of those pictures - maybe consider a screenshot program instead?

Turning off reflections probably helped quite a bit on the RAM issue. Reflections are quite RAM-heavy, particularly if you have shaders on.

Quote: Originally posted by Hammyx
How do I see the groups in the recolor file?

The TXMTs should have frame, lens or rim somewhere in the name.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#27 Old 13th Feb 2019 at 9:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Easiest way to figure out is to open them in SimPE. You'll usualy easily spot the mail/trash files by the texture or mesh names.

Clothes usually get proper names, though I have seen renamed files occasionally. Mostly makeup, though.

Your computer seems to have a high RAM usage, though I have seen a similar tendency in my game (I have 8 GB on my laptop, and it does get up to 5-7 GB when running TS2). I usually make sure to shut down other programs that use a lot of memory, and may also use the "Memory Improve Master" to reduce the memory use of the programs I can't shut down. I see you've got Paint running in some of those pictures - maybe consider a screenshot program instead?

Turning off reflections probably helped quite a bit on the RAM issue. Reflections are quite RAM-heavy, particularly if you have shaders on.

The TXMTs should have frame, lens or rim somewhere in the name.

Yeah some of them were in fact build/buy mode objects, tho not trashcans or mailboxes. However, most were makeup. Probably when I downloaded sims in previous years.

I don't know which programs to shut down, I usually just shut down what I see in my toolbar. I will try out that program and tell you what it does with my laptop! I used to have a screenshot program but they annoyed me; everytime I impr pant a box appeared and I also dont want to download more things. I always thought paint was better though.

Yes! I have shaders on because some hairs didn't appear correctly in my game, but that happened some months ago and i turned them on in the config files.

The recolor files only have frame and lens, just the ones I added; no rim! Tho the flashing blue, as you saw, continued and only stopped when looking at the mirror and applying changes. Honestly I rarely use reflections, now that I think about it. I usually use them for windows that have reflections, floors and water, but mirrors nope. i may consider keeping them off unless I really need them for a machinima shot or something special!

What's the point?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#28 Old 13th Feb 2019 at 10:01 PM
Okay I downloaded it. I'm lost, how do I use it? What is compressing memory? xD

What's the point?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#29 Old 13th Feb 2019 at 10:05 PM
By the way, I turned off reflections and used a maxis mirror and IT DIDN'T CRASH! I'm surprised, I was expecting it to, but it went as if nothing, and my RAM never went up when I used the mirror. Now the things is I don't know if it worked because I turned off the reflections, or if It's because of the mirror.

I haven't read everything, but I'm not surprised. You are asking a mini to tow a caravan up a hill, lightening the load is helping it. Reflexions take a ton of 'juice' to maintain.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#30 Old 13th Feb 2019 at 10:08 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 13th Feb 2019 at 10:19 PM.
Okay I downloaded it. I'm lost, how do I use it? What is compressing memory? xD

Open the program and click the "free (recommend)" button. You can make the program free up memory every X minutes if you leave it running (the Memory Optimization button, 3rd picture at the top, and the "auto free memory" option with the slider). The default settings are probably fine. Personally I don't use the "compress memory" option (seems to require more of the CPU).

Several programs have "memory bleeds" or hog memory, more and more whether they're running or are idle in the background. The program frees up some of this random memory hog so it becomes available for other programs to use. It's been very useful for my stationary (4 gb RAM + Vista, which turned out to be a very bad combo).

Custom mirrors may require an EP or need to be updated for EPs (if they're old), and may get some issues with mirror-related mods, so th's why I wondered if the issue also happened with maxis mirrors. I think new functions were added with Pets.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#31 Old 13th Feb 2019 at 10:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I haven't read everything, but I'm not surprised. You are asking a mini to tow a caravan up a hill, lightening the load is helping it. Reflexions take a ton of 'juice' to maintain.

So that means my laptop isn't dying? ;-;

What's the point?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#32 Old 13th Feb 2019 at 10:25 PM
Open the program and click the "free (recommend)" button. You can make the program free up memory every X minutes if you leave it running (the Memory Optimization button, 3rd picture at the top, and the "auto free memory" option with the slider). The default settings are probably fine. Personally I don't use the "compress memory" option (seems to require more of the CPU).

Several programs have "memory bleeds" or hog memory, more and more whether they're running or are idle in the background. The program frees up some of this random memory hog so it becomes available for other programs to use. It's been very useful for my stationary (4 gb RAM + Vista, which turned out to be a very bad combo).

Custom mirrors may require an EP or need to be updated for EPs (if they're old), and may get some issues with mirror-related mods, so th's why I wondered if the issue also happened with maxis mirrors. I think new functions were added with Pets.

Thank you! Right now it was at 37% usage and it lowered down to 32% ^^ The bar below used to say something like "You can't run any other applications or games" and now it says "Great. There is plenty of memory for you to run any applications or games." Poor program, doesn't know that Sims 2 will mess up its message xD

It may be that, tho I had used some CC mirrors, not only one, but I'm glad it's fixed. i hope it's not a one-time thing and it starts crashing again, I would be so sad. I also hope my laptop can still handle the recording program. I usually recorded with no problems tho, OBS is really good and my memory hardly ever went up when using it. I wonder why tho, shouldn't such recording program make the RAM go to its max? When recording videos in the Sims it stay around 90%.

Btw, should I delete Process Lasso? I only downloaded it because I thought it'd make a difference but honestly, the things it shows are already in Task Manager and the other stuff I don't understand so it's useless. Sometimes it says that a program restraint has ended, I think it means a program that was pushing the computer has been shut down? But I don't really see the use of it. Maybe I should just uninstall it.

What's the point?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#33 Old 13th Feb 2019 at 10:30 PM
Constantly asking too much of it could. Handle it gently and stop making it run a marathon would be my advice.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#34 Old 13th Feb 2019 at 10:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Constantly asking too much of it could. Handle it gently and stop making it run a marathon would be my advice.

xD Haha, okay, I'm sorry, I try to protect it the best I can though, sometimes it just crashes and I never do what I did for it to happen again, that's why I avoided looking at the mirror at all costs but the flashing blue problem wasn't fixed. In general it has only ever crashed with the sims 2, and when i installed Windows 10 but that was normal cause windows 10 sucks

What's the point?
Mad Poster
#35 Old 13th Feb 2019 at 10:49 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 13th Feb 2019 at 11:03 PM.
I also hope my laptop can still handle the recording program. I usually recorded with no problems tho, OBS is really good and my memory hardly ever went up when using it. I wonder why tho, shouldn't such recording program make the RAM go to its max? When recording videos in the Sims it stay around 90%.

I'm no expert on recording programs, but I'd guess the one you use isn't as resource heavy as many other recording programs. Programs like that come in many variants, some more demanding than others.

So that means my laptop isn't dying? ;-;

A bit early to tell, but it does mean that you should take more care of it. Perhaps less CC, lower the graphics where you can (in a pinch you can turn them on for a screenshot or short sequence, and then turn them down or off again- I used to do that with reflections on my first laptop), programs like the Compressorizer can be helpful to reduce file size, and check files you're unsure of in SimPE to make sure you don't use items with too high polycounts or too demanding textures (files well above 1 MB often contain high-poly meshes or uncompressed textures, which your computer may not like if there are enough of them).

For a stationary computer, this may be the time to dust it out. For a laptop it depends - maybe get someone who's good with the internal workings of computers to do it for you. For most laptops, opening them up may remove a potental warranty, so be aware of that. If it's 4 years old, most waranties have already passed.

Cleaning out trash programs may also help (trial programs that come with the computer if you buy it with Windows pre-installed). If you've never used a program, and it's not vital to the computer, chances are you can free up space and stop some of those memory-hogging stealth programs from running. If you don't want to delete them, you can instead turn off the "start at startup" issue that some of these programs have, to stop them from running.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#36 Old 13th Feb 2019 at 11:00 PM
I'm no expert on recording programs, but I'd guess the one you use isn't as resource heavy as many other recording programs. Programs like that come in many variants, some more demanding than others.

A bit early to tell, but it does mean that you should take more care of it. Perhaps less CC, lower the graphics where you can (in a pinch you can turn them on for a screenshot or short sequence, and then turn them down or off again- I used to do that with reflections on my first laptop), programs like the Compressorizer can be helpful to reduce file size, and check files you're unsure of in SimPE to make sure you don't use items with too high polycounts or too demanding textures (files well above 1 MB often contain high-poly meshes or uncompressed textures, which your computer may not like if there are enough of them).

I guess because I used to have fraps and that thing gave me so much lagg. But OBS literally does nothing. The game is at 7.30 gb of ram and then I open OBS, record, it stays that way and sometimes the usage even goes down.

I don't think I can reduce the CC because of my neighborhood and all the things I need. I, however, will indeed start lowering the settings when I'm not recording. I'm scared to compressorize, because I read that if you compressorize your files bundle and then you can't delete them or they can get mixed. I didn't understand much but if that's the case I don't wanna risk it xD, most things over 1mb are clothing. Clothing, nonetheless, is the thing I delete the most (almost weekly I enter bodyshop and delete clothes I don't like, hairs that look similar, and accessories that don't appear properly or I think I won't use). In fact, one day i deleted so much my folder went from 30k to 24k files lol But now it came to 33k because I had to make a lot and downloaded a lot of objects and new clothing for characters. feelsbadman

What's the point?
Mad Poster
#37 Old 13th Feb 2019 at 11:06 PM
I do use the Compressorizer (nowadays I hardly ever put anything that isn't a mod/hack in my game without compressing first) - and I've so far never had any issues with it for separate recolor files and meshes. Bundled files can be a pain in the behind, so I don't use them.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#38 Old 14th Feb 2019 at 12:26 AM
I do use the Compressorizer (nowadays I hardly ever put anything that isn't a mod/hack in my game without compressing first) - and I've so far never had any issues with it for separate recolor files and meshes. Bundled files can be a pain in the behind, so I don't use them.

Mmm I may try it then! I hope nothing wrong happens. It's just that one time I downloaded a compressorized mesh (it seems it had been compressorized in SimPE though) and a hair didn't appear correctly because of that.

What's the point?
Mad Poster
#39 Old 14th Feb 2019 at 1:03 AM
I haven't had any issues with files compressed with the Compressorizer, and I've used it on quite a lot of files (usually not mods/hacks or other files I'm unsure of) - but compressing with the inbuilt compresser in SimPE is known to have caused issues and isn't recommended to use.

Compressed files get a "directory of compressed files" resource.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#40 Old 14th Feb 2019 at 1:12 AM
Boy that's a lot to read to catch up on, lol.

Since I'm not on my computer - so tiny screen = harder to read - I see you didn't get any crashing after turning off reflections. That doesn't surprise me one bit because as Jo said: that takes a lot of juice.

So leave them off (sucks, I know) and be gentle with your laptop. It's likely the damage is already done, as they say, but if you baby it you can help it last a bit longer.

As for compressing and renaming - some say it doesn't make a difference. Myself? I do say it makes a difference. I don't compress files (unless I need to recompress a file after editing it) but I do rename to take out symbols and have noticed a difference in load times and such. So anything that may make it less taxing on your laptop is worth trying.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#41 Old 14th Feb 2019 at 1:24 AM
I haven't had any issues with files compressed with the Compressorizer, and I've used it on quite a lot of files (usually not mods/hacks or other files I'm unsure of) - but compressing with the inbuilt compresser in SimPE is known to have caused issues and isn't recommended to use.

Compressed files get a "directory of compressed files" resource.

I was just reading the compressorizer manual and it said that it may or not reduce loading times. So I don't really know if i should do it then; it's not like I have problems with my hard drive space. I wanted to do it mostly because of the loading but if it may increase it instead of lowering it i may just as well leave it alone lol

What's the point?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#42 Old 14th Feb 2019 at 1:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
Boy that's a lot to read to catch up on, lol.

Since I'm not on my computer - so tiny screen = harder to read - I see you didn't get any crashing after turning off reflections. That doesn't surprise me one bit because as Jo said: that takes a lot of juice.

So leave them off (sucks, I know) and be gentle with your laptop. It's likely the damage is already done, as they say, but if you baby it you can help it last a bit longer.

As for compressing and renaming - some say it doesn't make a difference. Myself? I do say it makes a difference. I don't compress files (unless I need to recompress a file after editing it) but I do rename to take out symbols and have noticed a difference in load times and such. So anything that may make it less taxing on your laptop is worth trying.

Hahahaha I didn't know reflections pushed computers hard though. I just saw them as normal and took the graphical beauty for granted xD
I will definitely leave them off unless I reallyy need them. But I wanted to know, aside from reflection walls and floors, water and mirror, does it affect anything else? Well I used to play with the integrated card because my game didn't recognize the AMD one (which i just realized has 4 GB instead of 2 using a program called Speccy), so a lot of damage must have been indeed done, since I read integrated cards are BAD for the game t-t

Yeah I'm not considering compressing, but I've been renaming for a while. I found a bunch of makeup, chairs, and plants with LOOONG names and I'm changing them already ^^ They're just so much a while ago i just had a nap because I was tired of doing it lol

Also, I'm planning on turning on my air conditioner everytime I record. I have a fan for my laptop, but maybe the air conditioner will help with overheating too. Not that I've had problems with it, but maybe it will avoid some damage to my cards

What's the point?
Mad Poster
#43 Old 14th Feb 2019 at 1:33 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 14th Feb 2019 at 1:44 AM.
I don't know if it reduces loading speed significantly, but there may eventually be some difference between loading 30.000 files ranging between 1-5 MB and loading 30.000 files ranging between 10-500 KB. Systems tend to read smaller files a little bit faster than they read bigger files, so while it may not matter much if you have a small amount of files, it may matter if you have a lot of big files. Doing backups is also going to be a little quicker. It may also help reduce the texture memory (for the pink-flashing issue, among other things), though this I'm not sure of. Renaming is also supposed to help, because the computer/game spends a tiny bit more time in reading all those weird symbols, and again - a few files won't make a difference, but a lot of files may.

Personally I do it becuse I tend to eventually run out of harddrive space. If I can have smaller files, I want to have smaller files. Besides, compressing little by little is easier than having to compress everything when I eventually do run out of space, and I'm too much of a control freak to run my entire Downloads folder through the compressorizer at once... I don't generally rename downloaded files unless they're really badly named or have very long names, and if I do I just take away the symbols I don't want.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#44 Old 14th Feb 2019 at 2:17 AM
I don't know if it reduces loading speed significantly, but there may eventually be some difference between loading 30.000 files ranging between 1-5 MB and loading 30.000 files ranging between 10-500 KB. Systems tend to read smaller files a little bit faster than they read bigger files, so while it may not matter much if you have a small amount of files, it may matter if you have a lot of big files. Doing backups is also going to be a little quicker. It may also help reduce the texture memory (for the pink-flashing issue, among other things), though this I'm not sure of. Renaming is also supposed to help, because the computer/game spends a tiny bit more time in reading all those weird symbols, and again - a few files won't make a difference, but a lot of files may.

Personally I do it becuse I tend to eventually run out of harddrive space. If I can have smaller files, I want to have smaller files. Besides, compressing little by little is easier than having to compress everything when I eventually do run out of space, and I'm too much of a control freak to run my entire Downloads folder through the compressorizer at once... I don't generally rename downloaded files unless they're really badly named or have very long names, and if I do I just take away the symbols I don't want.

Hmmm I'm still not sure how it works exactly. Do I need subfolders and I tell the compressorizer to compress what's in there? I'm kinda lost hehe. I also read that if you delete something in game that's compressorized everything is deleted, is that true? If so Idk xD Sometimes I delete stuff in-game because I'm thinking "why do I have this..." so.. yea

Hmmm since I don't have a stationary like you, maybe that's why I don't have a problem; I have 930 GB of hard drive and 704 is free. Lmao compressing the whole folder must be a mess. I rename because in the past I just discovered that, and when I used bulk rename utility my loading times went from 20 to 30 minutes to 10 or 5 ^^

What's the point?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#45 Old 16th Feb 2019 at 7:07 PM
Well, I wanted to say that after creating subfolders, my game takes more time to load but it runs more smoothly, I guess that's a good sign. Also, thank you so much Simmer22 for the advice of using Memory Improve Master, it has actually helped! My RAM now goes to 22% or something with Discord running and my antivirus, of course along with other Windows tasks. When in the game it goes up to just 6 GB and sometimes even 5GB and it hasn't crashed since! Thank you so much for taking your time to help me, the game, and my dear laptop ^^ !

What's the point?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#46 Old 13th Apr 2019 at 5:34 PM
UPDATE: I was playing and I turned on reflections. Surprise, my laptop didn't crash! I changed the hairstyle several times. First with reflections off. And then I turned them on and it worked as well! I don't know if it has something to do with the fact I was using Memory Improve Master? Usually, my game went to 90% RAM usage, now it went to 76% when loading the mirror, in CAS, and so on. The problem in CAS still persists however. The makeup tab takes a year to load and when it does it gets laggy af. Of course, this issue only happens with the makeup tab. Everything else loads fast and it runs smoothly. But I guess that's rather my computer and I have to get a new one. I was thinking of getting a Zoostorm Mana or is there something better? Thanks!

What's the point?
Page 2 of 2