Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Mar 2019 at 12:08 AM
Default How long do your sims stay engaged?
I want to stop with the "engaged for 2 sim hours, ELOPE RIGHT AWAY" thing I do in every game because I am A) too lazy to plan a wedding B) too lazy to actually execute it properly. I don't know why I do this, I'm in love with weddings and parties in real life, so I should probably get around to having one that isn't in a backyard sometime in game...

Regardless, I'm now thinking of having my sims be engaged a few 1 day rotations before I get them hitched, so I have time to buy the dress/tux, pick a venue, etc you know.

Or at least make a courthouse they can get married at *shrugs*
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 6th Mar 2019 at 12:19 AM
I'm super excited to have proper engagements again. I've been playing an apocalypse challenge for the last 6 months so my sims get engaged & married on the sidewalk within the span of a minute. But really I'm just kidding myself -- even when I'm not playing an apocalypse challenge my sims got engaged, woohoo'd and married in their underwear in the living room.

Still! I'm with you; I'm going to try and have proper dates and engagements and weddings going forward.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 6th Mar 2019 at 1:00 AM
Wow - I mean, it's not like this has NEVER happened in my game, but I don't find I have that hard a time with the lengthier engagements.

Of late, I've been playing with a Want-Based play style, so if they don't roll the want to get engaged or get married, then it can be a really long time before it happens. Some of my sims will live together without ever getting engaged or married (typically they are going steady). Nina Caliente and Daniel Pleasant spent years together engaged, but never wanted to tie the knot.

Lately, Danna Dreamer (daughter of Darren and Cassandra) is my quickest to getting married. She fell in love with the Game Hobbiest guy - 3 lightning bolts. Whenever they saw each other, they could not keep their hands off each other, so within a season (5 days) they got engaged and then got married. But I couldn't have the wedding right away because I needed to know that her twin Corrie would be able to attend, as well as her mother, her other siblings, and her many friends (Darren has passed away, so he didn't get to see her married).

Angela Pleasant only recently finally married Jimmy Phoenix when they left their 3 kids with the nanny and went on an island vacation. Lilith and Dirk are still not hitched because they seem too busy with other stuff to roll that want.

I guess I really think about my Sim - would they want a quicky secret wedding? Are they super impulsive so they are going to get married to someone they've only just met? Who are the important people they want to share that moment with?
It might might sense, too, for some to go from liking each other to married really quick - it works for some people in real life too, where they just decide that they want to build their lives together so they get started.
Instructor
#4 Old 6th Mar 2019 at 1:01 AM
I usually have my sims engaged for 1-2 rounds (4-8 sim days). I'm a slow rotational player, and I like to plan things out before my sims do something major such as getting married. In my mind, there are so many things for sim couples to do before getting married, like figuring where they're going to live.

There's no drama, like Sims drama.

Currently Playing: Sims 2 again!

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Mar 2019 at 1:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Coriel_Muroz
Wow - I mean, it's not like this has NEVER happened in my game, but I don't find I have that hard a time with the lengthier engagements.

Of late, I've been playing with a Want-Based play style, so if they don't roll the want to get engaged or get married, then it can be a really long time before it happens. Some of my sims will live together without ever getting engaged or married (typically they are going steady). Nina Caliente and Daniel Pleasant spent years together engaged, but never wanted to tie the knot.

Lately, Danna Dreamer (daughter of Darren and Cassandra) is my quickest to getting married. She fell in love with the Game Hobbiest guy - 3 lightning bolts. Whenever they saw each other, they could not keep their hands off each other, so within a season (5 days) they got engaged and then got married. But I couldn't have the wedding right away because I needed to know that her twin Corrie would be able to attend, as well as her mother, her other siblings, and her many friends (Darren has passed away, so he didn't get to see her married).

Angela Pleasant only recently finally married Jimmy Phoenix when they left their 3 kids with the nanny and went on an island vacation. Lilith and Dirk are still not hitched because they seem too busy with other stuff to roll that want.

I guess I really think about my Sim - would they want a quicky secret wedding? Are they super impulsive so they are going to get married to someone they've only just met? Who are the important people they want to share that moment with?
It might might sense, too, for some to go from liking each other to married really quick - it works for some people in real life too, where they just decide that they want to build their lives together so they get started.

Very insightful, I might try this too.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 6th Mar 2019 at 1:02 AM
That depends. If neither of the sims have a marriage want I might not have them get married at all.
If they do want to get married I check their inventory to see if they have a Bible in there or not. If they do they get married at the church, if they don't they use the wedding park, the beach or the council chamber. If one does and the other doesn't I pick whichever place seems best. How long until they get married depends as well. It might be the same day or a few days.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#7 Old 6th Mar 2019 at 1:33 AM
Just so I do not have to rename all the babies'last name, I get them married. But I much prefer to wait until they both have the want.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 6th Mar 2019 at 1:34 AM
Yes, that ^ Is my main bugbear with them not getting married. I thought I heard of some last name changer, I need it.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 6th Mar 2019 at 1:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Yes, that ^ Is my main bugbear with them not getting married. I thought I heard of some last name changer, I need it.

Ayyyy WCIF people, help us out?
Theorist
#10 Old 6th Mar 2019 at 1:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by purplestuddedcoffin
Ayyyy WCIF people, help us out?

WCIF isn't my strong suit but Pleasant Sims uses this painting in her videos and it seems to work well/quickly: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=289073
Scholar
#11 Old 6th Mar 2019 at 1:54 AM
Could it be this Mod by Christianlov? http://modthesims.info/d/289073/las...ier-080707.html

And just to make sure I'm not off topic etc:

I have my Sims married if they have the want to or if I just want them to be married, haha. I try to throw Wedding parties every time but when they live in an apartment, it's rather difficult. :P

Edit: Honeywell beat me to it!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 6th Mar 2019 at 1:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Honeywell
WCIF isn't my strong suit but Pleasant Sims uses this painting in her videos and it seems to work well/quickly: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=289073

Ahhh thank you.

Much easier than SimPE
Mad Poster
#13 Old 6th Mar 2019 at 2:54 AM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 6th Mar 2019 at 3:05 AM.
Gloria Jones got engaged to Garry Mackay during their Thanksgiving Dinner in 2017 (after woohooing together almost every night for 5 years). Carla Cameron got engaged to Bianca Monty on 10th June 2016. Neither couple are showing any sign of marrying soon. I'm not quite sure how long Consort Capp and April Hutchins have been engaged, but I think it's about as long as Carla and Bianca. Tom Cornton and Audrey Tsang have been thinking of getting married since the spring of 2013, but Tom (Romance) still hasn't got round to buying an engagement ring yet. Tybalt and Lexie have only been engaged since November.

There have been one or two whirlwind romances, but the consensus among my Sims seems to be that marriage is an honourable institution, not to be entered into lightly or inadvisedly.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Theorist
#14 Old 6th Mar 2019 at 2:57 AM
Simmanipulator has a first and last name changer that can be used in game. It's in the Misc (lawn flamingo) section.
Theorist
#15 Old 6th Mar 2019 at 3:02 AM
Honestly, since I use an extended aging mod that allows plenty of time for my sims to enjoy life without rushing anything, I like to have sims date for a lengthy period of time (for a few seasons...which are all set to 14 days each) prior to even becoming engaged. That way, if they roll wants to get married soon after getting engaged it doesn't feel as if the relationship is moving too fast. In real life my husband and I dated for a little over four years, but were only engaged less than a year before getting married...since we'd dated for so long and were ready to take the plunge.

I've also created a wedding chapel and a wedding park (both have a wedding reception setup as well) as options for locations to wed. No one gets married in their pajamas...in their living room or bedroom or bathroom. And for a bit of added realism, there is a fashion designer sim who runs a bridal shop and does "wedding planning" for couples to be...for a fee.

purplestuddedcoffin, I really like your idea of getting married at a courthouse (for sims who just want something quick). Think I'll add an invisible wedding arch to one of the offices in my neighborhood's city hall.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 6th Mar 2019 at 3:04 AM
I used shift+click with testingcheatsenabled on the batbox, it has a change name option that can be used to change first and last, but it's been said that's unsafe in some situations.
As for marriage, I normally do the 'married in 3 hours' thing, but I'm working on waiting for a want to roll, in order to make things more sim-want-based rather than my-wants-based

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~Theodore Geisel
"If what you are is just what you own, what have you become when they take from you almost everything?" ~Destroya, My Chemical Romance
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#17 Old 6th Mar 2019 at 3:06 AM
Yes, thanks guys, that is it. I saw it on her let's Play and knew I needed it. CaliBrat I have used that but wanted something easier to use.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#18 Old 6th Mar 2019 at 3:30 AM
I use Christianlov's mod for name-changing (the same one Fyren5 linked to). It's called a Last Name Copier but you can actually edit the first and last names and enter any name you like.

I sometimes have Sims get engaged and then get married right away, but at the moment I'm mostly having them get married the day after the engagement, unless they're too busy with conflicting work schedules or something. It's usually just a private affair that takes place at home and involves nobody but the couple themselves. Big weddings may have to wait for a convenient day when everybody's off work, but I only do those for the royal family.

I have some unmarried couples with oopsie babies, but it's usually when one of them rolls a fear of getting engaged, so they don't get that far. The children just grow up with the mother's last name.
Alchemist
#19 Old 6th Mar 2019 at 3:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PenelopeT
Honestly, since I use an extended aging mod that allows plenty of time for my sims to enjoy life without rushing anything, I like to have sims date for a lengthy period of time (for a few seasons...which are all set to 14 days each) prior to even becoming engaged. ...

I've also created a wedding chapel and a wedding park (both have a wedding reception setup as well) as options for locations to wed. No one gets married in their pajamas...in their living room or bedroom or bathroom. And for a bit of added realism, there is a fashion designer sim who runs a bridal shop and does "wedding planning" for couples to be...for a fee.

purplestuddedcoffin, I really like your idea of getting married at a courthouse (for sims who just want something quick). Think I'll add an invisible wedding arch to one of the offices in my neighborhood's city hall.

Jessa has some sort of wedding mat, a little rug they stand on, instead of the arch. That might be nice for a city hall. Jo will probably know it.

Can we see your fashion designer/wedding planner shop? That sounds adorable!

I thought it was this one that PleasantSims uses for name changes. It's specifically for weddings. http://modthesims.info/d/223528
Field Researcher
#20 Old 6th Mar 2019 at 4:09 AM
I use the Sim Blender to change last names when needed. Nina Caliente and Daniel Pleasant had twin children whom I named Gina Caliente and Danny Pleasant.

When Lucy Burb got married, she took her husband's last name, Jay Zaide (she married a dormie). When they got divorced, she made up her own last name - Westenra.

My hood is a modern era hood, so kids born to unmarried parents are no big deal. In fact, Angela Pleasant, a rising famous actor, had all three of her kids before she got married so it might even be considered a little fashionable by some.

I really do want my sims to be happily married (or together). I really struggle with trying to have some of my sims be divorcees. Like, with Lucy and Jay, I knew that they weren't a forever couple. They got married, they had one kid, they fought about Lucy's lifestyle (she's a partier) and they got divorced (when their son was 8 or 9). No cheating, just an incompatible couple.

How long do you sims stay engaged is a good question? How long do your sims stay married is another?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#21 Old 6th Mar 2019 at 4:43 AM
@Sunrader That was the Chris Hatch wedding mat I think. I can look in game to see.

Here is a picture but it doesn't say who made it, but I still think it's CH.
Screenshots

~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#22 Old 6th Mar 2019 at 5:18 AM
I have no set time. Some sims get engaged at university, come back to the hood and start their careers, then get married on a next rotation. I have some sims that got engaged, had a baby and that baby is now an adult and they still never married. Others get engaged and get married within the same week. Some of my sims just stay at going steady. It all depends on their wants, their life events, and whether I think marriage would matter to that sim.
Inventor
#23 Old 6th Mar 2019 at 6:45 AM
It really depends on the sims involved. Leo Wilkie had quite the extreme romance, having a first date, engagement, and marriage all in a few hours. But he was an elderly Family sim desperate to fall in love and start a legacy before his limited time ran out. Other sims have dated several times, but might still get engaged and married all in one go. About the only time I fuss with weddings is if the sims have a want to throw a party or if I think it fits the overall family feel. I've had adult sims in the past who had to wait up to a week because of conflicting work schedules. My young adult sims rarely get engaged, though if they do they have to wait until graduation.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 6th Mar 2019 at 7:03 AM
I don't have any rules.

Some of you know by now that I love parties in my game.

So it mostly depends on how soon the wedding party can take place. First, I will move them in together in order to have them under the same roof and then, as soon as both are at home, depending on their work schedules. Some of them may be able to throw a wedding party on the same day and others may have to wait until the weekend or something.

Although I do have a community lot with a wedding arch - and once in a while, a wedding actually takes place there.

That does not mean that some sims don't get engaged and married on the spot, whether it is in the bathroom, the parking lot of a community lot or during a shopping trip - sometimes it just makes sense (to me, anyway ).
Instructor
#25 Old 6th Mar 2019 at 7:41 AM
Several hours. I wait until everyone in the household where they will be living is home from school/jobs, which is most of the time the same day. I invite everyone in the 'hood for the party, buy a wedding arch and sometimes a food table, and let them marry at the start of the party.

In my first years of Simming they married most of the times right on the spot, but after a while that was a bit empty. This might still look rushed, but one day in my game equals one real life year, so those several hours are sometimes 8 months. Which to me makes enough sense.
Page 1 of 3