Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th May 2019 at 2:51 AM Last edited by Liz : 25th May 2019 at 4:35 AM.
Default Default Replacing to make it Repository
I'm worried I may have just dived head-first down the rabbit hole again...

I'm working on a recolour set of business things for the current creators' theme, and it's annoying me that the plastic OFB corner shelves don't share texture with their straight/main counterpart like the wooden Roedisplay ones do. Actually they do share textures, as in they use the exact same texture images, but they still need separate recolours. Annoying, right?

What I'd like to do is create default replacements for the corners (Just Corner Shelves and Just More Corner Shelves) that are slaved to the main/non-corner Just Shelves object's texture (and recolours).

I'm familiar with making a default replacement to change a texture (wooden legs to metal, teal lamp fixture to silver). I've read through both this tutorial here on MTS and this one at HugeLunatic.com. I haven't attempted the process yet, but I'm comfortable enough with the tutorial concepts to give it a try. Where I seize up, however, is in trying to combine procedures.

I assume I need to create a default replacement first, even though I'm not changing any of the default textures. So, what am I extracting and changing in order to make my new thingy do its default replacing? Do I extract/import the TXTR as usual and then just go about the repository steps? Or are there different/additional steps I should be taking here? With just a couple of def replacements under my belt I'm only marginally confident in the first technique. Adding another whole dimension has me more than a little nervous.
Basically, am I on the right path, or am I talking nonsense? I'm going to go ahead and start working, but if/when it asplodes I'm hoping y'all can at least tell me if I was driving in the right direction... >_<

Thanks!

EDIT: Okay it occurs to me that when I'm making my default replacement I should probably extract, in addition to the TXTR...or instead of the TXTR?... Yeah, probably in addition to it... the CRES, GMDC, SHPE, and GMND mentioned in the tutorials. So far, so confusing? I'm so anxious, this far outside of my comfort zone, but I'm hopeful I can wrap my brain around this.

EDIT 2: Wellllll I have now freaked myself out completely by getting it right on my first attempt. I feel it's obvious I'm missing something huge and world-ending, but so far I don't see it. Did not need to extract/add the TXTR. Did the 4 mentioned above. May write up a quick tutorial for this next week if it turns out I got it right after all. Not planning to delete in case this ramble is helpful but won't be sad if mods decide it's surplus to requirements. (^_-)

Thanks to everybody who took a peek!
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 25th May 2019 at 5:47 AM
If I'm understanding this correctly, it sounds like you're making a CEP-Extra that points to a new source for textures. You should be able to pull it off by just including and editing the SHPE, GMND, and MMATs (where the recoloring magic happens). Point those all to the TXMTs in the EAxis object you want the textures to come from. You shouldn't need the GMDC unless you are remapping the UV to fit the texture better or changing the names of the subsets.

We have been stuck too long with "New Mesh" as the apex of creation.
_ WesHowe
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th May 2019 at 6:09 AM Last edited by Liz : 25th May 2019 at 9:14 AM.
I don't actually know what's in a CEP-Extra, but I didn't touch the MMATs. What I did was import the to-be-slaved corner shelf's CRES, GMDC, SHPE, and GMND into a new file (even though, you're right, I ended up in this case not needing to change any subset names). Made the few changes required by the Repository tutorials, saved and named as a default replacement. Repeat for the other corner shelf. With these in Downloads, corner shelves now pick up recolours of the Master shelf instead of needing to be recoloured themselves as well.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#4 Old 25th May 2019 at 11:50 AM
I think what you are describing was fixed by shasta here: https://sims2artists.com/index.php?topic=5258.0 in shasta_CEP_ofb_displayintl_wedgebear If you don't have her cep's you may want to pick them up, as she makes them as she wants to recolor things.
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 25th May 2019 at 12:25 PM
I'm cackling so hard right now because yes, that's exactly what I spent the day "fixing" and was just about to post. Actually I think I'll still post it, because options and why not, but I'm totally gonna grab those for myself and provide the link too. Thank you so much for this info!

Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
I think what you are describing was fixed by shasta here: https://sims2artists.com/index.php?topic=5258.0 in shasta_CEP_ofb_displayintl_wedgebear If you don't have her cep's you may want to pick them up, as she makes them as she wants to recolor things.