Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

TS4 Skin Converter, version 1.2, 7/8/2019 - NOW OBSOLETE

by CmarNYC Posted 3rd Jul 2019 at 11:15 PM - Updated 9th Dec 2020 at 9:40 PM by CmarNYC

116 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 100 Feedback Posts, 15 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 5
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#2 Old 4th Jul 2019 at 12:13 AM Last edited by BushyGamer : 5th Jul 2019 at 12:45 PM.
Works perfectly so far, thanks!
Inventor
THANKS POST
#3 Old 4th Jul 2019 at 1:11 AM
not used it yet, but I had to say: THANK YOU!!!!!! I trust your creations almost implicitly!!!! THANKS!!!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#4 Old 4th Jul 2019 at 1:40 AM
1) ::squeals::
2) ::grabs::
3) thankyouthankyouthankyou!!!! I wasn't looking forward to updating all my skins to the new system. This? Will save so. much. time!!
4) thankies again!
Scholar
THANKS POST
#5 Old 4th Jul 2019 at 2:30 AM
I'm so happy to see this! I have some skintones I love by a creator who is long gone from the community. I'm hoping this will work to fix them!
Test Subject
#6 Old 4th Jul 2019 at 2:44 AM
I love this so far but my only issue is that the program can get hung on saving. I don't know if anyone else was having this issue but it seems to be corrected by going into Task Manager, selecting the drop down menu for TS4 Skin Converter, and choosing Save from the drop down menu. Doing this corrects the issue.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#7 Old 4th Jul 2019 at 2:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Liratya
I love this so far but my only issue is that the program can get hung on saving. I don't know if anyone else was having this issue but it seems to be corrected by going into Task Manager, selecting the drop down menu for TS4 Skin Converter, and choosing Save from the drop down menu. Doing this corrects the issue.

I forgot to put that in the notes but will add it - depending on how big the package is saving can take a looooooong time.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Scholar
#8 Old 4th Jul 2019 at 5:55 AM
I thought I'd come back let you know that the program worked beautifully. My Sims are tanning and burning just fine and I'm so happy to have my custom skintones back again! In case anyone is curious, I used the program on the Body Language default replacements for the Maxis skintones by simtowreck and on their Skin on Skin and Temple skin expansions. So, if anyone has those, converting them should work just fine.
Test Subject
#9 Old 4th Jul 2019 at 7:10 AM
I took a glance at your source. I don't want to get everything set up to test it, so I could be wrong. I'm pretty sure if you wrap your call to ProcessPackage in a thread things will stop hanging. I think it should be really simple. I don't think you need to join on that thread in the click handler, just let it finish and cede control back to the GUI. And probably you should set a label that says that it's processing and grey out all the buttons until it's done so people don't click around. If you're ambitious, you can share some state back to the GUI to represent the status and update a progress bar/label. But I totally understand if you don't feel like going through the effort to thread it. Even simple threads can be a pain.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#10 Old 4th Jul 2019 at 10:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Temmon
I took a glance at your source. I don't want to get everything set up to test it, so I could be wrong. I'm pretty sure if you wrap your call to ProcessPackage in a thread things will stop hanging. I think it should be really simple. I don't think you need to join on that thread in the click handler, just let it finish and cede control back to the GUI. And probably you should set a label that says that it's processing and grey out all the buttons until it's done so people don't click around. If you're ambitious, you can share some state back to the GUI to represent the status and update a progress bar/label. But I totally understand if you don't feel like going through the effort to thread it. Even simple threads can be a pain.

You're right of course, This is such a simple tool that I didn't bother with threading or batch processing which really are a pain to set up. Maybe in a future version if it seems needed.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Test Subject
THANKS POST
#11 Old 4th Jul 2019 at 1:51 PM
Thank you so much, Cmar!
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 4th Jul 2019 at 3:35 PM
is it just me or this mod is not working?
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 4th Jul 2019 at 3:37 PM
I use MsBlue's SkintoneSetV2 and V3, plus Moonchildlovesthenight Dark skintones. No changes were made to them.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 4th Jul 2019 at 4:16 PM
So, I've been playing with this a bit and I've noticed a couple things that I'm not sure if it comes under 'forced limitations of conversion/game', 'other programs need updated', or what.

1st: while the package files with the converted skins *open* fine in either Studio or s4pe, and one is able to look at the image files (either dds/_img or rle2) with no problem, neither program is particularly happy with the TONE files. I'm getting Stack Trace errors/notices for the TONE entries in both programs. Which could very well be that both programs need updated to work with all the new references and formats and such - just wanted to point out in case something here needs tweaked. (The packages work/look fine in game - not seeing any issues there - just opening them in an editor is a little wishy-washy.)

2nd: I've noticed on darker skins that I've got this rainbow-ish/discolored/blurred border on the tan lines (tanned not burned if it makes a difference). Now, I *did* tick the 'Include burn mask for dark skin colors' option so I will totally admit to user error if need be. Just, again, pointing things out for if they need to be/can be updated in a future version. Attaching 7z file with images from the easiest to see "offenders". Male in pic is using the darkest tone from PeaceKeeper's Other Side skins, lady in pic is using one of SimsInSpring's darker tones (not sure if it's from the Cool, Warm, or Non-Default Pooklet files but they all give me the same issue in varying degrees).

Still loving this program though - was really, really not looking forward to updating all my various skins tones to somehow include the tanning/burning resources. So thank you again for making this as painless as possible (even if there ends up being a couple little limitations here and there).
Attached files:
File Type: 7z  skinDarks.7z (650.3 KB, 41 downloads)
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#15 Old 4th Jul 2019 at 6:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Blue
I use MsBlue's SkintoneSetV2 and V3, plus Moonchildlovesthenight Dark skintones. No changes were made to them.

I converted MsBlue's set V3 and it works fine. What makes you say they weren't changed?

Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#16 Old 4th Jul 2019 at 6:52 PM Last edited by CmarNYC : 4th Jul 2019 at 7:38 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by LunyKimberly
So, I've been playing with this a bit and I've noticed a couple things that I'm not sure if it comes under 'forced limitations of conversion/game', 'other programs need updated', or what.

1st: while the package files with the converted skins *open* fine in either Studio or s4pe, and one is able to look at the image files (either dds/_img or rle2) with no problem, neither program is particularly happy with the TONE files. I'm getting Stack Trace errors/notices for the TONE entries in both programs. Which could very well be that both programs need updated to work with all the new references and formats and such - just wanted to point out in case something here needs tweaked. (The packages work/look fine in game - not seeing any issues there - just opening them in an editor is a little wishy-washy.)

2nd: I've noticed on darker skins that I've got this rainbow-ish/discolored/blurred border on the tan lines (tanned not burned if it makes a difference). Now, I *did* tick the 'Include burn mask for dark skin colors' option so I will totally admit to user error if need be. Just, again, pointing things out for if they need to be/can be updated in a future version. Attaching 7z file with images from the easiest to see "offenders". Male in pic is using the darkest tone from PeaceKeeper's Other Side skins, lady in pic is using one of SimsInSpring's darker tones (not sure if it's from the Cool, Warm, or Non-Default Pooklet files but they all give me the same issue in varying degrees).

Still loving this program though - was really, really not looking forward to updating all my various skins tones to somehow include the tanning/burning resources. So thank you again for making this as painless as possible (even if there ends up being a couple little limitations here and there).

S4Studio has not yet updated their code for the new TONE version; that's why you're seeing an error. Same for s4pe - while I've updated the TONE for s4pe I haven't yet uploaded a new version.

I must confess I didn't test very dark skins in-game as opposed to in CAS, but I've tried it now and got the same ugly distortions. I see a little color distortion at the edges of tan lines in EA skins but not nearly as bad. At this point I don't know why the big difference but I'll look into it. So far it doesn't seem to be the burn mask.

Edit: The really nasty discoloration I was seeing was because of overlays on the custom skin I was testing with, so that's not a problem for most skins. I do see that the pixellation at tan lines seems to be worse on the converted skins than the EA skins so I'm looking at what might cause that.

Test Subject
#17 Old 4th Jul 2019 at 9:14 PM Last edited by skippitydodah : 4th Jul 2019 at 10:03 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
I converted MsBlue's set V3 and it works fine. What makes you say they weren't changed?

I'm not the original poster but I use MsBlue's set V3 and the skintones were discolored and "splotchy" after the IL update. I ran them through your mod with no problem. I had the following boxes checked: "update standard EA colors", "Add tan and burn textures to skintones...", and "Include burn mask for dark skin colors." Mod ran fine and saved. However in my game the lighter skintones look ok (not great) and the darker tones are still discolored and splotchy. It's killing me to because all my female sims use those tones. They had the best combination of color, detail and tonality. (Plus they aren't under skin details)

I do not know much about this sort of thing. I use LUUMIA's vanilla skin for my female sims. Is it possible that the base skin could cause the discoloration of Ms. Blue's skintones?
Forum Resident
#18 Old 4th Jul 2019 at 10:23 PM
Cool! I didn't know this was a problem until now! I just thought it was me not knowing how it all works yet. I'm so relieved!!
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#19 Old 4th Jul 2019 at 10:25 PM Last edited by CmarNYC : 6th Jul 2019 at 3:08 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by skippitydodah
I'm not the original poster but I use MsBlue's set V3 and the skintones were discolored and "splotchy" after the IL update. I ran them through your mod with no problem. I had the following boxes checked: "update standard EA colors", "Add tan and burn textures to skintones...", and "Include burn mask for dark skin colors." Mod ran fine and saved. However in my game the lighter skintones look ok (not great) and the darker tones are still discolored and splotchy. It's killing me to because all my female sims use those tones. They had the best combination of color, detail and tonality. (Plus they aren't under skin details)

Yeah, I downloaded and converted those and after looking in-game instead of just CAS saw the same ugly splotching. It's the skintone overlays that add a shiny appearance that's doing it. My guess is that EA changed how the skin textures are composited with the patch - that's pretty obvious since the tan and burn effects are done by blending the darker textures into the skin - but whatever they did seems not to play nicely with the skintone overlays if any. (Each skintone has slots for overlays in addition to the base texture and now tan and burn.)

The solution is to remove the overlays. You'll lose the shiny effect but that's better than the splotches. I'm going to do a new version of the converter and I think I'll add an option to remove overlays. I can look at blending them into the base texture but if there are different overlays for different ages/genders that may not work.

I (and anyone bothered by this) can also ask on the EA forums and possibly they can correct the problem in a future patch, but don't hold your breath.

Edit: Those overlays also have some color in them and possibly that's a problem. So many things to test for!

Moar edit: A quick test indicates color in the overlays is indeed the problem. That's good news.

Yet another edit: I was wrong, grayscale overlays also don't work right.

Lab Assistant
#20 Old 4th Jul 2019 at 11:35 PM
This mod breaks my game.
It doesn't work with all skintones, plus I can't save anymore. Everytime I enter CAS I cannot come out of it. My sim looks glitched in CAS nad nothing I do fixes it. My sims' avatars disappear and I cannot change their clothes anymore in live mode.
Looks like I'll just pass on this mod.
Test Subject
#21 Old 4th Jul 2019 at 11:53 PM
So i'm trying to use this on the Lumia Sims Body redux skins and it's saying that they dont have any skin tones in them?
Scholar
#22 Old 5th Jul 2019 at 12:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by JamieDesta
So i'm trying to use this on the Lumia Sims Body redux skins and it's saying that they dont have any skin tones in them?

Those are default replacement skins not skintones. There's a difference. This fixes custom skintones (skin colors) for tanning and burning. As far as I've read, Luumia's skins are working fine. I use his Vanilla skin and it works fine for me, so I can't see how Body: Redux should be any different.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#23 Old 5th Jul 2019 at 12:17 AM
By any chance does anyone know of an application that can fix alphas and make cc clothes tan lines compatible?
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 5th Jul 2019 at 12:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
The solution is to remove the overlays. You'll lose the shiny effect but that's better than the splotches. I'm going to do a new version of the converter and I think I'll add an option to remove overlays. I can look at blending them into the base texture but if there are different overlays for different ages/genders that may not work.

Moar edit: A quick test indicates color in the overlays is indeed the problem. That's good news.

Something else to keep in mind is that a lot of skintones (primarily the darker colors) also have "baked on" details in the mouth/hand/foot areas that are on the actual texture files - and not all of those tones have an overlay that's added to the skin (other than a person's defaults).
Test Subject
#25 Old 5th Jul 2019 at 1:17 AM
First I would like to thank the fine folks at EA for making life so much easier(?) Anyway, as I said I'm not very experienced with the skins. I have tested at least 20 different skins over the past few days. All of them are under skin details. None of them have that same problem of discoloration or "splotching." Why is there a difference? They all contain different "tones"? My biggest gripe is that most of the skins I tested are so over the top as far as shading and detail goes that I can't get used to it. (Less is more?) not only that but being under skin details the other skins inevitably knock out another skin detail I want to use.
Page 1 of 5