Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Jul 2019 at 11:56 PM
Default Tsr is blocking ad block now
Okay so this has probably already been mentioned and I'm venting again. It looks like you can no longer download from TSR with adblock enabled. Not surprising at all but wow is it a mess of a site without ad block. I don't normally download from it anyway but I really needed some window add ons. I think the site could honestly be on its last legs, no one is gonna surf through that forever.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 11th Jul 2019 at 12:15 AM
you still can, Firefox +uBlock Origin*, there will be invisible (because blocked) popup, just close (the "X close: will be visible, just small) and proceed. the page and the download functionality may be a slower, and site is less responsive (you need to sit down timeout counters, usually ~5-10s) under blocking (it's not very responsive anyway with all this garbage).

I have also Script/injecter stopper, blob localiser, and DNS and IP control on the machine- in "No mutants allowed" policy (No FB/Twitter etc., most google shit off etc.) but it's mostly irrelevant for the average user

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Mad Poster
#3 Old 11th Jul 2019 at 12:39 AM
I've always (not really) wanted to create a user in a temporarily setup sandboxed environment and accept every single one of those offers as they come along just to see what happens. There has to be a reason they are advertising all of that stuff, it must be for our own good. There should be Win 10/modern browser versions of this screenshot available to borrow, but the older ones are the first ones I am finding.

Disclaimer: One shouldn't really try this in a regular user environment unless one also plans to boil their computer in disinfectant once they are finished.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 11th Jul 2019 at 12:46 AM
^
If someone wonders why people use adblock and popupblockers along with a healthy dose of common sense, that's why. You can't even see the actual browser window.

TSR has been trying to Block adblock for quite a while now. I've found several ways around it, so I've not had any serious problems downloading (except for those 10 seconds of waiting I can't seem to get past, and the "one download at a time" issue, though Firefox has some tricks up its sleeve to get past it).
Mad Poster
#5 Old 11th Jul 2019 at 12:59 AM
I have a better idea: don't use that fucking trash pile of a website. It's not worth anyone's time or attention and neither are the suckers who still upload content on it (if any).

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 11th Jul 2019 at 1:05 AM
I use Adblock Plus and Ublock and have 0 ads on TSR. And the way to download easily is to copy the url on the page you want to download from, then open a new window, paste url and go. Then click the download button and you will only wait 10 seconds for the download.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#7 Old 11th Jul 2019 at 1:10 AM
If you're getting the popup that tells you to disable your adblocker after the timer runs out - copy the URL and paste it into a new tab. The file will download then.
Scholar
#8 Old 11th Jul 2019 at 1:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ElaineNualla
you still can, Firefox +uBlock Origin*, there will be invisible (because blocked) popup, just close (the "X close: will be visible, just small) and proceed. the page and the download functionality may be a slower, and site is less responsive (you need to sit down timeout counters, usually ~5-10s) under blocking (it's not very responsive anyway with all this garbage).

Oh, that works! I've been using uBlock Origin for ages now, but always had it turned off for TSR because I'd assumed I wouldn't be able to download anything, as was the case with other adblockers I've used. So, no more of those crazy pop ups! Well, thanks for that. Although I do feel a bit of a dummy for not already knowing it.

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Mad Poster
#9 Old 11th Jul 2019 at 1:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
If you're getting the popup that tells you to disable your adblocker after the timer runs out - copy the URL and paste it into a new tab. The file will download then.

That is what I have done in the past. Copy and download from there.
Undead Molten Llama
#10 Old 11th Jul 2019 at 2:23 AM
I don't go to the Hellsite often because they still owe my kid $50 plus I'm going to say $1000 in interest and late fees at this point, so no way are they getting any ad revenue from me. When I do go there, I use AdGuard for ad blocking on sites where I feel a need to block them, and T$R still doesn't seem to recognize that as a blocker. I just get the standard 10 second wait that a non-subscriber gets. Or, if you want to go a different route, the web browser Opera has a built-in adblocker that T$R also fails to recognize. If you want to use T$R a lot, it might be worth it to use Opera just for T$R.

.....Ooooooooor, there's T$R Freemium. *cough*

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 11th Jul 2019 at 3:29 AM
TSR is the one site I refuse to download from. They have some awesome creators on there, but I'm not prepared to give my computer a funeral after spending too much time on there.
Scholar
#12 Old 11th Jul 2019 at 4:21 AM
I right-click the download button and then "open link in new tab" option in the drop down menu.
Space Pony
#13 Old 11th Jul 2019 at 4:28 AM
Good to know, was going to download clothes for all ages. (Have everything I'd want from here) Already have everything from TSR object wise. Now I won't bother. guess this is more of an excuse to learn how to make clothes for the game. Learning to be a 3D artist, but have yet to make any CC or mods for any of the games I play.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 11th Jul 2019 at 11:39 AM
So you'd get your TS3 served with extra garbage, but not TS4? What's the message here, does TS4 content already have a higher concentration of garbage built in?
Either way, ads are garbage. Downloading stuff from a site that serves them is the digital equivalent of going dumpster diving for snacks and it feels as dirty.....to me, anyway.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Scholar
#16 Old 11th Jul 2019 at 11:52 AM
I try to be nice and let that be the one site I don't block ads on, but it does mean that downloading stuff like clothes or jewelry takes much longer than it should.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 11th Jul 2019 at 12:48 PM
I try not to use TSR unless a specific mesh that i need comes from them. They've been trying to block ad-blockers for years but there is ALWAYS a workaround. If YouTube can't fight adblock, they definitely can't. But it's cute that they try xD

The Receptacle still lives!
Mad Poster
#18 Old 11th Jul 2019 at 12:54 PM
The only site that I don't block ads on is the one that doesn't have ads, which is MTS. Other sites also don't have ads, but that's because I don't make exceptions to my "every site except MTS gets ad blocked" rule.

insert signature here
Scholar
#19 Old 11th Jul 2019 at 6:10 PM
em... MTS have ads ;p and google tracking, too.

@igazor
now you give me an idea for a class "destroy your windows installation in less than 10 minutes, start with default system browser", it should be funny in VB.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Undead Molten Llama
#20 Old 11th Jul 2019 at 7:19 PM
I don't get all that worked up about ads. Sure, some of them are dodgy and can give you warez if you click on them, but if you've got good security, it shouldn't be a huge problem. Me, I have good security and am VPNed out the wazoo and stuff like that, so for me it's more of a question of which sites I want to get ad revenue (or don't care either way) and which ones I don't. Basically, unless a site has pissed me off in some way, as T$R has, I'll allow ads so long as they are relatively unobtrusive. Things I consider obtrusive: Opening popups or new tabs/windows. Or embedded video ads instead of just graphical ones. (Those videos are hell on my bandwidth when I'm home in very rural Colorado, where I have 4MBbs-on-a-good-day satellite; here in California where I've got fiberoptic, I don't care so much. ) Pretty much, I ignore ads and don't have a stroke over them and, as I said, in some cases I'm happy for the site to have the revenue. (That would be the case for MTS and SimsFileShare, for example.) Google and Windows and whatnot will track regardless, so I'm not going to worry so much about ad-tracking.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 11th Jul 2019 at 9:17 PM
MTS has ads?

insert signature here
Undead Molten Llama
#22 Old 11th Jul 2019 at 11:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AGuyCalledPi
MTS has ads?

Yes, it does. How do you think they get the money to host all this stuff? It doesn't have a lot, though. There are one or two on the home page and the "top level" pages of each section have one. If you're not seeing any ads, then something's blocking them and, IMO, you should turn off that blocking unless you support your usage by donating. I would also recommend not blocking ads on SimsFileShare, if you download lots of stuff from SFS links since it, too, is a for-Simmers-by-Simmers enterprise that does a lot of good for our community as a whole and, as far as I know, you can't just send a donation to SFS.

EDIT: Although, looking again, I see you have the "Supporter" icon under your avatar, and perhaps supporters don't get ads? I'm not sure. I wouldn't mind donating but, I refuse to use Paypal because...well, long story, and that is (or at least was) the only way to donate when I looked into it. So, I allow ads. It's not a big deal.

Space Pony
#23 Old 13th Jul 2019 at 5:39 AM
I think I would be fine with t$r having ads if they didn't look so much like the content images. I can't tell you how many times I would accidentally click on an ad either thinking it was some object. Or just accidentally click on it. Also, it's irritating that you already have to wait if you're not a paying member. Which I get have a reason why we'd want to pay. But if you have adblockers you have to wait even longer.
Scholar
#24 Old 13th Jul 2019 at 6:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
Although, looking again, I see you have the "Supporter" icon under your avatar, and perhaps supporters don't get ads? I'm not sure.
I

One time donaters should still be seeing ads, but it's optional to turn them off if you are a monthly supporter. You can also give a one time donation with a credit or debit card, but you can't be a monthly supporter except through pay-pal it seems.
http://www.modthesims.info/donate.php

Wren-der Simblr // Sim Art // Pictures // Downloads // Random Nonsensical Rambling
Test Subject
#25 Old 13th Jul 2019 at 3:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pretenshus
Okay so this has probably already been mentioned and I'm venting again. It looks like you can no longer download from TSR with adblock enabled. Not surprising at all but wow is it a mess of a site without ad block. I don't normally download from it anyway but I really needed some window add ons. I think the site could honestly be on its last legs, no one is gonna surf through that forever.

This has been a thing for years, there's an instruction out there that uses Tamper Monkey to bypass the ads, the download waiting time and the adblock blocker itself.
Page 1 of 2