Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Dec 2019 at 11:36 PM
Default Custom Skills?
I haven't been able to find much about this, but does anyone have info on creation of custom skills?
I have some modding ideas that will require the create-a-career tool but will also need added skills not included in the game.
I understand that skills involve both XML and data files, and I have some experience with modification of both.
However, I can't just copy an existing skill because I also need to be able to change how the skill is increased.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 4th Dec 2019 at 5:06 AM
Only a few people have made custom skills, that is why there is no info on this. And you actually do copy an existing skill to create yours, and that was said just a few days ago by Icemunmun on the Deaderpool Discord server. Find a skill that is close to how you want yours done, copy all the tuning, and then make changes to fit your skill. As for the skill increasing, you'll need to figure out how and why it increases, then either make new interactions (suggested), or inject, or override, game tuning to include skill increase details. The last one is not recommended only because of possible conflicts, etc.

Creator Musings is a Sims 4 modder, poser/animator, and CC creator hangout server (though everyone is allowed) with a tutorial/resource directory, help channels, and mod/cc/sims 4 news channels!
My Discord | Twitter | Tumblr | Patreon
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Dec 2019 at 5:57 PM
Thanks, that's informative; that's about all I've found on the topic so far, that copying an existing skill is a starting basis. I intend to add new interactions for specific objects to increase the skill. You make a good point that attempting to override existing game parameters or using tuning can potentially cause conflicts. I'll have to peruse the game files further to see if I can identify some of the skill files and which would make a good candidate to be copied.
Test Subject
#4 Old 19th Dec 2019 at 9:15 PM
@MizoreYukii - Thanks for your reply to this thread, as both of you guys have stated, there is very little information on this subject.
@MovieGuy420 - Did you find anything useful? I am also currently trying to locate the relevant files/code to duplicate and edit a skill.

I have some previous coding experience in a number of languages, mainly .php and SQL but am very interested in experimenting with a personal project in the Sims 4, which would initially involve a custom skill with custom interactions to build upon said skill.

I am using PyCharm Community Edition to view/write scripts. I have decompiled the EA files but am having trouble locating anything related to the storing of Skill Names (Skill being defined).

If anybody may possibly be able to point myself (and anybody else coming across this thread) towards the relevant files, it would be greatly appreciated.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 20th Dec 2019 at 12:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DonLandgraab
@MizoreYukii - Thanks for your reply to this thread, as both of you guys have stated, there is very little information on this subject.
@MovieGuy420 - Did you find anything useful? I am also currently trying to locate the relevant files/code to duplicate and edit a skill.

I have some previous coding experience in a number of languages, mainly .php and SQL but am very interested in experimenting with a personal project in the Sims 4, which would initially involve a custom skill with custom interactions to build upon said skill.

I am using PyCharm Community Edition to view/write scripts. I have decompiled the EA files but am having trouble locating anything related to the storing of Skill Names (Skill being defined).

If anybody may possibly be able to point myself (and anybody else coming across this thread) towards the relevant files, it would be greatly appreciated.

If you want to edit skills/copy the skills you need to extract the tuning/XML files, not Python files. Python will be used to inject the interactions that increase your skill, among a few other things. All data like what the skill is and the how and why are in XML.

Creator Musings is a Sims 4 modder, poser/animator, and CC creator hangout server (though everyone is allowed) with a tutorial/resource directory, help channels, and mod/cc/sims 4 news channels!
Test Subject
#6 Old 20th Dec 2019 at 12:40 AM
Thank you very much!

DonLandgraab raised his Modding Understanding skill to 0.001!
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 19th Feb 2020 at 10:06 AM
Anyone know where to edit the skill name displayed in the game? I cannot find the reference to a string in the statistics tuning or sim data that S4S adds to my project. Is there additional tunings needed?
Field Researcher
#8 Old 19th Feb 2020 at 9:14 PM
@vidde https://simsvip.com/2017/02/07/crea...-changing-text/

Lab Assistant
#9 Old 20th Feb 2020 at 10:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MizoreYukii
@vidde https://simsvip.com/2017/02/07/crea...-changing-text/

Sorry I was not being clear, I have added the string for the name of my newly created skill, but I am unable to find where to put the reference to it. I added it like below in the Sim Data tuning, but as there was not a similar line in the skill tuning I extracted, I don't know if that is the way to go.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<SimData version="0x00000101" u="0x00000002">
  <Instances>
    <I name="commodity_Skill_MyNewSkill" schema="Commodity" type="Object">
      <T n="name">0xF06575CE<!--My New Skill--></T>
Field Researcher
#10 Old 20th Feb 2020 at 4:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by vidde
Sorry I was not being clear, I have added the string for the name of my newly created skill, but I am unable to find where to put the reference to it. I added it like below in the Sim Data tuning, but as there was not a similar line in the skill tuning I extracted, I don't know if that is the way to go.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<SimData version="0x00000101" u="0x00000002">
  <Instances>
    <I name="commodity_Skill_MyNewSkill" schema="Commodity" type="Object">
      <T n="name">0xF06575CE<!--My New Skill--></T>

Ah, it should be there, very odd if it isn't. Was this a regular skill you copied, or is it a hidden skill? But try finding the original SimData name key that you replaced, Ctrl + F in S4S while the main commodity tuning file is selected, and paste into the search field. It's possible you overlooked it. If not, test with just the SimData's name change and see what happens. How many tunings did you extract, just the one? There are multiple files involved with skills, like notifications, interactions, etc. so it's possible if it's not there that the name is located in another important file. I wouldn't know which one though.

Lab Assistant
#11 Old 22nd Feb 2020 at 5:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MizoreYukii
Ah, it should be there, very odd if it isn't. Was this a regular skill you copied, or is it a hidden skill? But try finding the original SimData name key that you replaced, Ctrl + F in S4S while the main commodity tuning file is selected, and paste into the search field. It's possible you overlooked it. If not, test with just the SimData's name change and see what happens. How many tunings did you extract, just the one? There are multiple files involved with skills, like notifications, interactions, etc. so it's possible if it's not there that the name is located in another important file. I wouldn't know which one though.

Ah, thank you! You are right, I don't really know what I extracted, but it was not correct. I extracted statistic_Skill_AdultMajor_Charisma instead and it looks way more logical =)