Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Feb 2020 at 3:48 AM
Default Project Files Are Not the Size They Should Be
Okay folks, I got a weird one:

So, not too long ago I was *finally* forced to upgrade my computer to Windows 10, and had to go through all the backing-up and what-not to ensure my precious files (lots of simmies, too!) were saved from the possible apocalypse. Mercifully, game runs fine, so I figured I'd try my hand at meshing clothes. Here's where the weirdness starts.

I go through the tutorial, use Blender, mesh is good, go to start work on the bodyshop side of things and BAM! the size of the alpha layer/bumpmap/texture files are 512x512 (they should be 1024x1024). Realizing I'm doing this wrong, I make a recolor of my new mesh, only to discover that that project's files are even smaller.

I just tried searching the forums here, and aside from one post about blurry textures (not the problem I'm experiencing), I found nothing. Prior to the Win 10 upgrade, Bodyshop almost always used 1024x1024, so this is unsettling, to say the least.

My system is Win 10 64, with a GTX 650.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 8th Feb 2020 at 2:53 PM
If you don't get 1024x1024 with child clothes and up to elder (toddlers have 512x512), then the blurry texture issue is the same as the small texture issue. Blurry textures happen because the textures are too small (in your case not extremely small, but still small), and small textures cause blurriness.

You can size everything to the correct size, but that's more of a workaround than a fix. The link below shows how to fix the problem (but I think there are a few variants of this game help topic)

https://simswiki.info/wiki.php?titl...y_Shop_Projects
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Feb 2020 at 11:33 PM Last edited by Joselle : 8th Feb 2020 at 11:49 PM.
@simmer22

So, I did check bodyshop again last night, and yes, the texture was blurry on the new project, so, yaaay...Also, the mesh in question that I made was for the Elder Female category, so it should've been 1024x1024 (I meant to put that in my original post).

Since I'm no longer getting any in-game resolution higher than 800x600, should I still use the method you posted @simmer22 , or should I just attempt the graphics rule thing and hope that fixes it?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 9th Feb 2020 at 12:45 AM
I assume something must have happened to both the Graphics Rules.sgr files, not just the one in the CSbin folder for Bodyshop, so you may want to look at tutorials on how to fix the files to properly set up the game resolution too.

If you had to reinstall the game (which I assume you may have had to do, with the UC in particular), and especially if you're now using Windows 10, you'll want to take a look at the Graphics Rules and VideoCard files. Win 10 may have some memory issues, and it's possible you have to make your game properly recognize the video card and such.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Feb 2020 at 2:16 AM
@simmer22

I actually didn't have to reinstall anything: we went ahead and put Windows 10 on over the old Windows 7, which I had read here before tended to cause things to go much more smoothly (and they seemed to, until I decided to take a short break from object meshing and make a clothes mesh!). I don't have UC: I'm still working off of disks, so far those issues have been avoided. It does seem like I'll have to get the game to recognize my card, though.

Funny thing is, when I first got this computer, Sims 2 loved it: Windows 7 and a new vid card made it soo beautiful. Somewhere in all the graphics card updates something broke. And now Bodyshop and Windows 10...yay...

Thank you for the help so far!
Mad Poster
#6 Old 9th Feb 2020 at 3:26 AM
I don't doubt switching the OS could have done something to settings and such, maybe reset some files or changed the paths a bit, or what have you. It also has some memory handling issues with 32-bit programs/games (like TS2) that Win7 doesn't seem to have, so it's possible that's where the problem is. You probably need to make it recognize your card again, and do one thing at a time. Throwing all the possible fixes at it immediately may not be a good idea if it previously worked with the same hardware. Sometimes you just need a simple fix like making it recognize the graphic card.

I had very few issues with Win7, except for a weird problem when my Nvidia control panel would mysteriously not work and my game suddenly didn't want to recognize the card - but I fixed that a couple times and found a workaround the last time it happened. Didn't even need to do the 4GB fix or edit the graphicRules or any of the other tips and tricks. Only time I saw even a hint of pink-flashing was with a single item that probably had some issues in the file. Now with Win10 I've seen no end to the problems, but it's a new computer with a new graphic card, so I guess the rules have changed...
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 9th Feb 2020 at 5:28 AM Last edited by Joselle : 9th Feb 2020 at 5:59 AM.
@simmer22

Okay, I'll try getting the game to recognize my card again--at one point it did, so hopefully it can again!

I'm sorry you've had issues, too, and I really appreciate all the help! I will update once I've tried fixing this, and hopefully it can be of help to others, too.

EDIT: Would what's mentioned here be good to try?
https://simsvip.com/2014/07/20/the-...solution-guide/

(Except I'd use Mansion and Garden)
Mad Poster
#8 Old 9th Feb 2020 at 2:28 PM
I think that could work.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 11th Feb 2020 at 2:08 AM
@simmer22

I have good news and bad news!
Good news is that the method for getting higher resolution in my game worked, so I now have a much better looking game.

Bad news is that it did nothing for Bodyshop, so it looks like I'll now need to try the link you posted.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#10 Old 11th Feb 2020 at 8:30 AM
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 11th Feb 2020 at 10:47 PM Last edited by Joselle : 13th Feb 2020 at 4:49 AM.
@simmer 22 @HugeLunatic

So, does that mean I should skip the tutorial from https://simswiki.info/wiki.php?titl...y_Shop_Projects ? Because I started doing that last night (I made back-ups, so it won't be hard to reverse). Though while looking through the UI Options they weren't all "0 0 0" as that link says they should be.

Or, are you saying I should edit my resolution in the CSConfig the same way as Config (which is what it looks like you're saying HugeLunatic), and if that doesn't work, then go to the tutorial in the link?

(Yes, I need this spelled-out for me, please. Thank you for the continued help!)

EDIT: I restored the CSConfig files first, then edited the one for Mansion and Garden the same way as I did to fix the resolution in the Config file, and it worked! Bodyshop projects are just fine now.

So thank you @simmer22 and @HugeLunatic (I had to re-read what you wrote, sorry about that!)--it's all fixed now, yay!!
Scholar
#12 Old 16th Feb 2020 at 7:25 AM
graphics rule maker will fix up things for your game - https://www.simsnetwork.com/tools/graphics-rules-maker
follow the directions on their page, the version they were looking for testers at the bottom of the page works great, and for life stories.
When I got my new pc with win 10, I had your same problem with bodyshop textures. Do what HugeLunatic suggested. That worked great for me. All my files are the right size ever since.

1st Place : Superb Sibling, Hearts Consume the Stars Contests
2nd place : Daddy N Me Cycle 2 Alien Edition, Sims Real Estate Contests
3rd Place : World Zombie Model Agency Contest
4th Placce : Aspiration N Me, Maxis Makeover Home Edition, My Girl, Stages of Life, SRE Cycle 2 Contests